Topic

Fabric for “toe cozies”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Fabric for “toe cozies”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I want to make some simple "toe cozies" like Bill has. Can I just use RipStop Nylon since they won't ever be exposed to the weather (i.e. always worn in my bag in a bivy). Is there any reason to use Momentum for such a small project like this?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Ryan,

I used light weight silk for mine. Mine were almost only ever used inside my sleeping gear. I did leave them on if I had to get up during the night for quick "Walk In The Woods".

If you want to wear them around camp you might use a more durable fabric than what I used otherwise about any left over fabric should work fine.

You also might want to make them a little longer so you can use them as a pair of thumb-less mitts during the day or make a simple pair of mitts that will fit on your feet at night.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

Bill,
    What an excellent multi-use mind you exibit.
    These are a great idea.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

My girlfriend made a pair of cozies for me this past summer. My feet tend to sweat a lot so she used Momentum which is somewhat more breathable than plain nylon. She made them like slippers with a piece of heavier cordura on the bottom for walking around without poking holes in them.

Margo Costas

@margoc

Locale: Savannah Georgia

What am I missing?

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

Yes, you could bring a pair of socks, but a nice thick pair of wool socks can be as heavy as 4 oz. Using a layer of XP insulation would give you more loft, more warmth, more compressibility in your pack… all for a lot less weight. 4oz is one third of the weight of some people's entire sleeping quilt!

Margo Costas

@margoc

Locale: Savannah Georgia

Oh.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

The toe cozies being discussed aren't really socks by definition. I've taken the liberty of posting a photo from Bill's blog to give an idea of what Ryan is asking about for those unaware:

The user's foot slides into one of the cozies up to the ankle. The string is tied around the ankle to hold it in place. The purpose is to keep just the toes warm.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If you could handle the slight crinkling sound, make them out of Insul Bright. It is designed to reflect heat and is breathable/washable.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Thanks Sam for posting the picture,

You all have to realize that I made my toe cozy's in the middle of a hike. I had a scarf of sorts that was a cut-off piece of my quilt. That quilt was about 4 inches longer than necessary and I cut the extra off. I cut it off and carried it to use as a neck wrap if necessary. To make the toe cozy's I folded it in half and cut it into two equal pieces. They turned out to be just right for my toes to my ankle. If the material had been longer the toe cozy's might have been foot cozy's. The cord was from an extra tarp cord I carried with me.

Toe Cozy with my Wal Mart 1.07 ounce a pair socks. I wore these socks on my short Sub 2-pound hike.

Even though I go very light to SUL to Sub what-ever, I still carry a few things in a repair kit to include a needle, a bit of strong black thread, one extra tarp cord and a few other things based on the hike.

Here is the thread if you want all the down and dirty:

Climashield Combat Toe Cozies

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Hmm… or just buy a could FBC Cozies and add string… then they'd be dual use. Or at least one of them could be… or if you want to avoid odors, if nothing else FBC Cozies would be a inexpensive EASY toe cozy ;)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lol…yeah, and the cozies are foot size :-P

I am sewing a tent liner for winter use out of IB btw…my theory is that I won't need to carry a blue pad for under my T-Rest…and that I can cover the whole floor of my tent. I would stay a lot warmer this way. Since IB is mylar on the interior and I have done this with E-Blankets before…it should (I hope!) warm & toasty…and light for winter.

I buy IB in 40 yd rolls so no loss if my idea sucks and blows…

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I don't have any XP or Momentum on hand, but I have a whole lot of fleece, so I thought I'd make some in the meantime. They go to about the middle of my arch and have an elastic band (a fabric type, not a rubber band) that goes around the heel. They weighed in together at 0.9oz.

I also made "boosters" for them – another layer of fleece (that can be removed) that goes over just the top toe part. These add an extra 0.4oz.

Not as lofty as XP of course, but I tried them out in a very light summer bag in the backyard for a couple hours at night. They kept my toes warm in 28 degree weather!

I'll post a pic tonight.

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

I just made a pair of toe cozies out of old SealSkinz chillblocker socks. The socks were entirely too heavy at 5 oz per pair, so I happily cut them down into toe cozies. They don't quite go to my ankles, which may be a mistake on my part, but weigh in much less at 1.6 oz with no sewing! A pair of scissors and bungee cord thru a few holes did the trick. I'd always seen toe cozies on peoples gear lists and had no idea what they were. In my imagination, they were little cups that you put around each individual toe! This makes much more sense.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools