Topic

Winter Camping – No Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Winter Camping – No Tent

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

With all this chat about tents and suitable envirmoents for them, I have been thinking about going on my next winter adventure without one! Just using a bivy and digging a simple shelter/walls for when I hit the hay. Just wondering how many people do this, or rely solely on snow shelters. Of course, you can also tell me how much of a mistake this will be. Isn't this common for alpine guys?
    Steve

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

One of the nice things about camping in freezing weather is that it can't rain. In the past my winter camping shelter was just a bivy sack.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have used just a bivy… and it is certainly a fast and easy way to go in the snow. I have also done trips where we did snow structures which isn't fast and easy (cause you have to built your shelter) but it light and warm.

A downside of the bivy, unless you do a full blown snow cave / igloo / etc is managing wind. Some places digging a pit and using the contents to build a snow wall provides adequate protection… but some places this is not enough. The other downside of the bivy is if you are with someone else and way to "hang out" and play cards or other social activity.

–Mark

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Locale: Somewhere out there

Go for it. Dig yourself a dog house. Work harden a platform by stomping an area longer than you are tall and wider than your width, you'll figure out exact dimensions after making a few. Then, cut blocks with a snow saw (you are carrying one for your avy assessment right?) or shovel, which isn't as effctive. Place the blocks either flat across a long pit just wider than your shoulders, or tilted like so: /
    When you get to the head area, the tilted method will provide sitting space and you won't feel like you are in a coffin. You can get real fast with this style of shelter, depending on the snow structure. Even faster is finding a wind drift and burrowing in. Or how 'bout a nice big pine/spruce/fir tree to hunker down under. I have spent plenty of nights on just a stomped out platform in my bag and bivy too. Hope this is helpful, have fun out there and let us know how it goes.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Keep in mind I've only spent one night out in the white but. . .

If you don't build a doghouse or shelter be shure and carve out a depression in the snow about the size of your bag/ bivy/ pad combo. This way you have a nice depression to hold everything together and you'll have less of a chance of rolling off your pad and ground sheet (if you're using one). Also it feels nice and cozy!

No I can't take credit for discovering this myself; it's from 'Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book'.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Excellent info! The tent stays at home next weekend.

I had some concerns regarding the durability of a silnylon/nylon bivy in a case where I was unable to create a shelter of some sort. But really, what's the difference between using it in the summer or winter? Nothing :).

I'll just find a little nook/cranny to crawl into if I have to.

I just cut 2 lbs from my winter pack weight!

Thanks guys.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Steve,

How did the tentless weekend go?

Rod

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

*sigh*…Rod, you will be disappointed…

I ended up using the tent. The weather forecast was just too nasty for me to use just the bivy. With wet snow for literally the entire first day, and then temps dropping to -20C the next day, I swapped out my bivy for my tent at the last minute.
    I've written up a trip report with a few pics, just haven't had a chance to post it yet.
    I'm still going to try out just the bivy – next time, I promise.

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

A "half and half" compromise is to use a winter tarp with a bivy.

The tarp serves to keep the wind and snow off your bivy, and makes a nice communal sitting/eating area to pass the long winter nights. But since you're in a proper bivy, the tarp can fail due to snow load or weather and you'll be pretty safe.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

I've spent many nights in a single person snow pit covered with a 5'x10' sylnylon tarp. It takes about 20 minutes to dig a 3' deep pit and pitch the tarp above it. There are many options including burying the sides under snow to fully prevent wind vs keeping it somewhat open to help with condensation. If you use your poles to support the tarp (and choose a flat site or a slightly rougher nylon tarp–snow really slides off of silnylon) you can cover your tarp with snow for insulation much like a snow cave but without the 2 hour time needed and guaranteed wet-through gloves.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Yes, I am bumping an oldie…..

So I am not crazy thinking about going tentless! Just moved to montana and wanting to get out this winter, I will test out my system on a car camping trip once or twice first for safety.

Been thinking of picking up a Norah snowyside bivy and using either my siltarp I have already or trying just the mld basic cuben poncho tarp. It’s 4×9 and I really only want to cover my head to sit up and change.

Anyone got pics of their bivy and or tarp winter combos from trips?

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I don’t have pics right now (I can dig them up) but I have experience- I took a winter survival class through the local University and the one rule for shelters was “no tents”. We could bring a tarp, or build snow shelters, or create a shelter from natural materials but tents were not allowed. Snow shelters are BY FAR the warmest and quietest shelter option. And yes, we had to sleep in the shelter we made. We did 6 overnighters, I think, during the course. I suffer from some claustrophobia and a fear of having my snow shelter collapse of me so my choice was a ranger trench design rather than a snow cave. You could also dig a trench but roof it with a tarp- wouldn’t be quite as warm, but it’d be largely windproof and would have no chance of a snow collapse.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

An eVent bivy would likely be one of the better options.  Remember bivies have been used by climbers on snow-covered peaks.  Just get a larger size.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

A bivy can work well in winter when paired with a VBL. Snow caves are excellent if you have a few extra hours, spare energy and a full change of clothes (you’ll get soaked) to build one. Only did the trench with flat tarp roof once and it worked fine.

As for a poncho tarp, if you’re going to take a tarp anyway, why not make it a pyramid tarp for the fastest, easiest setup and good wind resistance? Four stuff sacks filled with snow for the corners make good snow anchors, and you can pitch close to the ground and pile snow around the edges too. And unless you live where the winters are mild, a poncho may not be the best option for winter rain/snow clothing.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools