Topic

Emergency Bivuoc

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

I got caught in a real bind!!! My dear wife went to a wedding shower for my nephew in central Texas. Of course, I had her drop me off at a State Park that has a primitive camping area. It was a moderately warm winter weekend and the park had left the water on and all of the regular tent sites were reserved. The primitive site was my only option. That's OK. I prefer the primitive areas to escape the noise, dogs, cars, etc.

I arrived at the primitive area after a day of hiking as it was getting dark. A mist had developed that promised to slowly soak everything. Well, that's OK also as my tarp has kept me absolutely dry during some really wind-blown showers. When I looked at the primitive site I saw a lot of debris – bent tent stakes!!!! The site was out in a prairie and the ground was as hard as concrete. There were NO trees or shrubs to tie out to – just me and the bare ground (might as well have been rock!

I was carrying the following items that could be used to construct shelter:
    1. Equinox silnylon extension poncho.
    2. GG Polycro ground cloth.
    3. Torso-sized blue pad.
    4. Pantagonia Dragonfly pullover.
    5. Montbell ultralight wind pants.
    6. 16 gallon trash bag in pack (liner).
    7. GG G6 Whisper Pack.
    8. 12 feet of Kelty Triptease line.

Made the best of things by putting on my pullover & pants, put my feet in the trash bag, and rolled up in the poncho like a burrito.

Not the most comfortable night out, but I managed to fall asleep eventually. Kept waking up adjusting the poncho to keep out moisture and to pour water off of the poncho where it had pooled.

How would you have handled this situation? Could I have brought some piece of lightweight emergency gear that would have made it more comfortable? Please give me your thoughts.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I gather you expected trees at the established primitive site to tie off your tarp with the triptease and then stake it to the ground?

I would have looked for another site for camp nearby first to tie to trees and use my stakes or rocks. But, I have to say that I would have taken poles or another shelter so I didn't have to rely on trees.

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

Not so much a lack of trees as a lack of ability to drive a stake. Texas is great spider country so I always find a stick to break up the webs that blanket the trail (or hike with a tall partner who is willing to lead!) This spider stick ultimately becomes my tarp support.

I used to carry an emergency space blanket sleeping bag cover but got tired of the noise and the condensation. I think that Adventure Medical now has a new emergency bag that is not crinkley mylar. If this were truly waterproof then this might be the answer.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

You are correct that Adventure Medical has a new emergency bag that is superior to all others I have tried. I carry one on all overnight trips and hunting trips attached to my belt in case a situation arises that me and my pack are separated. It comes in a small bag with enough room for a lighter, plenty of tinder(wet fire), whistle, small knife, photon, mirror, water purifier pills w/little nipper, and 2 energy bars.
    Come to think of it, why do I need my pack?

Timothy Roper

@lazybones

Locale: Alabama
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools