Topic

Make your own firesteel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Make your own firesteel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I bought some firesteels on eBay on the cheap and combined it with a Cohglan's match case using JB Weld epoxy. I added some tinder and a hacksaw blade section for a striker. Cost is less that $3. I think they would be perfect for Scouts.

MYOG firesteel

MYOG firesteel

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nicely done, Dale! I'm gonna try this.

Todd

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Cool idea Dale! What did you seach for on eBay? "firesteel"? And how does it come? I one long rod that you have to cut or smaller pieces? Also, what's the weight of everything with the waterproof case?

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Those match safes usually come with one already glued to
    the bottom!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

David Olsen wrote: "Those match safes usually come with one already glued to the bottom!"

I'm not betting my life on that little thing on the bottom– worse than useless, IMHO.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Jason asked, "Cool idea Dale! What did you seach for on eBay? "firesteel"? And how does it come? I one long rod that you have to cut or smaller pieces? Also, what's the weight of everything with the waterproof case?"

The case with firesteel and striker weighs 1.2oz.

Search on ferrocerium, firesteel, fire flint, or just go to http://www.ferrocerium.com/main.sc

This guy has some deals and bulk too:
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmegaphoneplus

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Here's my next stage of evolution on the matchcase with a firesteel. I had my K&M match case sitting on the bench next to the matchcase with the firesteel epoxied to the side and the idea light went on. I had some Brunton compass capsules and just epoxied one to the lid. Voila!

Matchcase with firesteel and compass

Matchcase with firesteel and compass

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I'm sure I have seen the orange match case with the flint and the compass on the side for sale in the shops. In fact, I think I had one. Little mirror inside. Possibly Coghlans again?

Cheers

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I thought you were supposed to keep your compass away from metal because it caused interferance. Does the firesteel or scraper mess with the compass' ability to work accurately?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I thought you were supposed to keep your compass away from metal because it caused interferance. Does the firesteel or scraper mess with the compass' ability to work accurately?

As far as I know, the flint stuck on the side of the canister is not metal and not magnetic – so no worries.
    The steel on the other hand will probably end up quite magnetised.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Does the firesteel … mess with the compass' ability to work accurately?

Apparently not, although I WAS able to get a small deflection by waving the firesteel very close (<1/4 inch) over the end of the needle (<5 degrees) but not enough to be an issue for a button compass.
    compasscompass + bolt
    compass + firesteel

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools