Topic

Thread and sewing machine

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Thread and sewing machine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    nategfunk
    Spectator

@jegsmith-2

I am looking to start making some of my own gear but have a couple questions. I have read that the thread sold by thru-hiker, tex 30 and 40, is appropriate for myog projects. I have a sewing machine sold by sailrite designed for sailmaking and sail repair. Sailrite sells the thread below as appropriate thread for <1.5 oz/sq yard projects. Is there any reason why i should not use that thread for any of my outdoor gear?

http://www.sailrite.com/thread-v-30-white-16?sc=2&category=7313

Thanks,

Jon

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

I don't know about the sail store stuff, but the thru-hiker thread is very good stuff. I use the same stuff. It's a high quality multi filliment poly wrapped poly perfect for outdoor gear.

30 weight is good for very very light fabrics and the 40 is good for all around use on light to med heavy stuff.

With the 40tex, use an 80 or 90 needle with light stuff and a 110 needle for heavy stuff.

Try the different needle with your machine.

Get needles with the "universal" or sharp type tips.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools