Topic

bamboo cloth; like cotton or synthetic?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) bamboo cloth; like cotton or synthetic?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

While shopping for 5-toe liner socks I cam across Injinis, made of 75% bamboo fiber. Should I expect this to be terrible for hiking (like cotton), great (like synthetics), or somewhere in the middle? Any hard numbers? BPL test idea?

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I own bamboo t-shirts. Both cotton blends and 100% bamboo.
    Sorry to say it has simular properties as cotton regarding drying time. It does feel far nicer than cotton but is only good for the same uses as cotton Ive found.

Robert Devereux
    Spectator

@robdev

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

I got a pair of the Injinji liners. I haven't done any real testing of them yet, just one day of casual wear.

They were very soft, but smelled bad by the end of the day, probably on par with cotton, and very unlike wool. This makes me skeptical of the claim I've seen about bamboo resisting bacteria.

I'll let you know when I get a chance to wear them for some short hikes.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

The helios sock is using bamboo fiber along with a kitchen sink list or everything else known to man and woman alike.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Injinji is making a Bambook sock now? Where'd you see that at? I knew that had a Wool / Synthetic blend but not Bamboo…

Robert Devereux
    Spectator

@robdev

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

I made a short (4 mile) hike to work today and wore the bamboo Injinji liners. After that, I think they are closer to cotton.

The walk in was fine, but after an hour in my office, my toes were feeling cold. The liners were still damp. I took them off and immediately felt warmer. They were still a bit damp after two hours. I've had better luck with Injinji's wool and Coolmax socks.

They might be good for warm dry weather, but I won't use them as general purpose liners.

As for the question of where to find them, REI has some on their site. I got mine from ZombieRunner.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools