Topic

Help with a possible spoon modification (yes very exciting)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help with a possible spoon modification (yes very exciting)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

I'm considering getting the Jetboil Utensils (or hopefully just the Spoon) and turning the "high temperature nylon" into a spork. Does anyone know if that stuff can be filed? The end product would be the lightest folding spork I know of, lighter than the BPL one and even the lightmyfire one if the filing shaves a gram off.

http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Accessories/Utensil-Kit

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Have you looked into a plain Lexan spoon. Mine weights 11 grams. Bought it at some camping store, but I've seen them at Walmart. Cost a buck or two and can be filed to most any shape. Not that I don't like the JetBoil edition, but a little pricy for my tastes. Of course I never saw the point of a Ti spoon/spork when Lexan is lighter.

-Mark

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

spork noun 1. An eating utensil resembling a spoon with short fork tines once limited to backpacking, now found in fast-food emporia and airliners; 2. Any device of illusory utility, which appears, at first glance, to be practical and ingenious, but is found to be tedious, frustrating or actually useless in practice. Eating pasta with a spork is much like eating peas with a knife. And eating soup with a spork is not much better than using…well…a fork. 3) The current and less imaginative term for the runcible spoon, the elegant term coined by Edward Lear in “The Owl and the Pussycat.” We live in barbarous times

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Amen.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

I eats my peas with honey,
    I've done it all my life.
    It makes them taste quite funny,
    but it keeps them on the knife!

– anonymous old Bostonian rhyme

PS, yes, any nylon is fileable. Only problem might be clogging of the file.

Elleyne Beals
    BPL Member

@tahomus

Locale: Not usually at home.

i bought a set of jetboil tools last spring. my husband and i use the spoon and fork – i've used the fork for f.b.c. without trouble. they have a strange texture- rough and grippy. feels very weird when trying to lick it clean. not very easy to lick clean… i think the plastic might be too slippery without the texture. i'd suggest practice hacking on the spatula before chancing ruining the spoon.
    p.s. i love how they get small enough to fit in the bottom my reflect-x cozy, but get long enough not to get the knuckles dirty when eating! i wish one could buy just the spoon…

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Locale: PNW

GSI Outdoors makes a really nice telescoping spork! I haven't held one yet, but I'm going to pick one up I think. And it only weighs 8.5 grams!

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?a=9&c2=19&p=70101&

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools