Topic

NorLam – poly scrim sandwiched between mylar

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear NorLam – poly scrim sandwiched between mylar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Travis A
    BPL Member

@dirtymcsquared

Does anyone have experience working with NorLam ? There is a .75oz. weight available at kitebuilder.com. I am looking for any thoughts how this material would compare to the more common lightweight materials UL backpackers use.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

never used it. However, i've heard those listed weights are in sail makers yards not square yards, and that is before any coatings are applied. For $11/yd it's only a little cheaper than thru-hiker's spintex .7oz and you can guarantee the quality of anything from thru-hiker is going to be great. To me the lighter, proven fabric from Ayce is the way to go.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

I have also found this material at (kitebuilder and it seems quite interesting to me – it might be a "poor man's cuben". The weight 0.75 oz/sq yd is final – it is a laminate, so there is no coating to be counted extra. The weight is better than silnylon or spinnaker, and it has one advantage – it is completely waterproof. It might be worth a try.

Compared to cuben, it is heavier (but maybe also thicker and more durable), and the scrim seems to be different, not so dense. It may not be possible to sew this material, but kitebuilder offers the sailmaker's tape for quite good price too (no sewing may be an advantage for someone).

The only thing that prevents me from trying it is the cost of international shipping. Would anybody else try it?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools