Topic

Bothy Bag/Shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Bothy Bag/Shelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gerald Magnes
    BPL Member

@gmagnes

Locale: Southeast US

Is anyone familiar with a Bothy Bag or Shelter. As I understand it, they're multiperson, water proof nylon shelters for emergency bivouacs in winter conditions. They're apparently common in the UK, but not so much in the USA. They're lightweight, and 2 (or more in larger ones) can sit in them, using their body heat to warm the inside space. A salesperson at REI was telling me about them a couple of days ago, and they seemed like a good idea to carry on winter day trips for emergency bivouacs. He described being able to raise the ambient temp to about 20 degrees inside while outside it's -10F. Here's a UK outfitter link he gave me:
    http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/info_313.html

Anyone add any more info or experience about these?
    thanks
    Gerry

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I have never used one before but check out the Wild Things Bivy Shelter:

This exciting new product for 2007 solves the age-old question….should I bring it? Designed by AMGA guide Jim Ongena, this bivy shelter weighs in at 13 ounces and will shelter four people in a storm. It can also serve as an overnight shelter for two in a pinch. This should become standard equipment for all outdoor leaders and guides because it’s so small, light, and useful you’ll never leave home without it.

Standard:

Silicone Impregnated Ripstop Nylon
    Weight: 13 oz (0.37 kg)
    $150.00

Ultralight:

Cuben Fiber Reinforced Spinnaker Fabric
    Weight: 3.8 oz (0.11 kg)
    $225.00

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Picture on the Wild Things Website.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools