Topic

Cold butt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cold butt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

OK – I always have a cold derriere when it is close to freezing or below. Seems that no matter what I wear and the type of pad/bag my butt is cold. I use an exped downmat 7 and
    a WM Versalite coupled with VB clothing, long underwear and pants … no success so dar. My legs and torso are just fine. Should I add a butt-sized square of foam to the setup? Any advice from fellow butt-freezing victims??
    Thanks,
    Sven

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

tape hotshots to your butt?

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

You need to be anal about using your sit pad.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

While I've enjoyed the other responses, the question is, is it bothering you? Because if it's not bothering you and keeping you up, just realize your body is keeping the blood flowing where it's really needed. If your brain were in your butt, it'd be a different story altogether.

I just went skiing and snowshoeing in N Vermont in daily weather of about 7 to 10F and wind chill to -11 to -15. Even when doing highly aerobic uphill, I'd be warm enough all over, but still have a cold butt and still feel a little cool in the legs.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Well, it's obviously bothering him enough to post — and he did say "butt freezing victim"! :)

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I was being serious. :)

Sven, if you slept on your stomach, do you think your butt would still get cold? This would tell you if any more insulation is required from the ground.
    If your bum is still cold even if you slept on your stomach (or perhaps your side) then maybe a nice warm waterbottle between the legs would help out, or – as stated before – a couple of those heat packets tossed down the back of your thermals.
    Steve

p.s. do we have less blood flow or veins to our butts or something? My bum tends to stay cooler then the rest of my body in winter aswell – however, it doesn't really bother me, so i didn't post about it :O

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Yeah, we have poor blood flow to areas with a lot of sub-cutaneous fat. It usually bothers women more than men, butt everyone is different. I too would suggest a small water bottle or platypus filled with hot water, or those re-usable hot packs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools