Topic

Pemmican

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Clayton

@kclayton

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

Has any one tried Pemmican?, not the Pemmican bars

http://www.natureskills.com/pemmican_recipe.html

Tomorrow I am going to try to make some with my parents. I will post the results.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

we used it on a paddling trip once – I really don't like the stuff (for me I just can't get past the though of how much fat is in it) – the fellow we were paddling with loves it though

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Colin Fletcher ate it every day on his length of California and Grand Canyon hikes.

mark henley

@flash582

I think that Peanut Butter has almost the same nutritional value as Pemmican ….. kind of the modern equivilant

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Fat is fat is phatt. Calories are the same. Consequences are different. Original pemmican was made with suet, the hard, sold beef kidney fat. It is packed with cholesterol. Not a good thing in the long run.

The recommendations about peanut butter are dead on. You can get it in many forms with healthier fats.

Here is an old home recipe for pemmican: 1 pound peanut butter (or substitute any nuts), 2 pounds dried fruit (prunes, raisins, currents, figs, anything) 2 cups dried cranberries or graited orange peel. Chopped jerky is optional. Run everything through a grinder, adding a handful or large spoonful at a time to promote mixing. Press into oiled/greased cookie sheets and put in warm (200 degree) oven. Put a spoon in the oven door to prop it open and leave the stuff for 5-8 hours until dry enough to be chewy, but not hard and brittle.

Kevin Clayton

@kclayton

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

The pemmican making process was a bit of a disaster. We followed a recipe in a meat curring book. The first step was to soak the meat in salt water. We used Elk meat.
    This is the meat soaking in salt water
    Next we put the dried meat, berries, and raisins into a food processor.
    The grounded meat and berries, not very appetizing.
    After that we melted beef suit and poured it over the ground up meat in a container and left it in the fridge.This is the end result.

The end result tasted ok to me but both of my parents and our foreign exchange student hated it. I think that I will stick with peanut butter. On its plus side it doesn't weigh much and probable has alot of calories and supposedly it wont go bad.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools