Topic

Adding a mesh screen/door to a MH Bunker

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adding a mesh screen/door to a MH Bunker

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Helge Melbye

@st-helge

Locale: Norway

Hi!

I'm in the process of becoming a more lightweight backpacker, but finding it a bit difficult. I want a certain degree of comfort and sense of security, and therefore I need a tent. I usually hike in the mountains in Norway, and since the tree line is at about 1000m (3000 feet) I'm usually above it.

I have had my eye on Mountain Hardwear's Bunker, but found out that it does not have a mesh door. I liked the design of this tent as it was small, fairly lightweight and could take a beating. Norwegian summers are not like summers should be, and blizzards in July is not that unusual!

But, back to the lacking mesh door. Does any of you out there have an idea as to how I could make and fit a mesh door to the tent? I mean, it shouldn't be that hard to take a piece of mesh, sow on zippers, and glue the zipper to the tent… Or am I wrong? What kind of problems could arise? Apart from the fact that any warranty would be void.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I don't know if gluing the mesh would work. It may depend on what the tent fabric is like. You don't really want to be taking a sewing machine to a welded, 'watertight'tent I guess. How breathable is the Bunker?

For that weight tent and that price, I think you should be able to get exactly what you want, not something that you have to add bits and pieces to. Have you looked at Stephenson's Warmlites, or Hilleberg tents for instance? They both make very lightweight and storm-worthy tents. I have used both brands in severe winds and they were great.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I wouldn't mess with a single wall tent — for fear of causing leaks. Not answering your question, but if you want a simple, lightweight, single wall waterproof/breathable solo tent with a mesh door and closable mesh vent, then I highly recommend that you look at MontBell tents — like this or tis. And here is my English translation of the dome tent.

The MontBell tents above should be significantly more breathable than the Mountain Hardwear Bunker. I see the MontBell laminate as significantly superior to Goretex, whereas the Conduit is merely comparable — or maybe even inferior to — Goretex.

One caution, however, about the MontBell Mighty Dome tent. It is short. Not a problem if you use either a women's regular size or a men's short size bag. But if your bag is sized to fit up to 6 ft., then it will touch the walls of the tent — which is bad regardless of how breathable the tent wall might be. Anyway, food for thought.

Helge Melbye

@st-helge

Locale: Norway

Hilleberg is just to expensive here in Norway. The new Soulo is close to $1000!!! Buying it from the US is actually cheaper than buying it in Sweden. Go figure! But I have heard that the materials used in Hilleberg tents in US is weaker than what it is in Norway/Sweden due to the fire ret. treatment. In that case it may be worth the extra cash.

Stephenson's Warmlites have no retailers in Norway, and buying a tent I haven't looked at in real life is not something I want to do again. Bought a Bible Eldorado from Moosejaw last year, and while it is a great tent to sleep in it takes up way to much space in my backpack. And the fire treatment makes the tent smell like something you really shouldn't breath in… Had I seen the size of the packed tent and smelled it I would have chosen something else.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools