Topic

Can someone help sponsor me for VFTT?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Can someone help sponsor me for VFTT?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I have been trying to get onto VFTT, Views From The Top, which requires sponsorship from a current member, for months. I've emailed the founder, Darren, and have even been sponsored by Michael B, a fellow BPL member, who has kindly sent several emails to Darren. I have never heard back from VFTT (and I've checked junk mail just in case). My wife and I have as much to contribute adn share as to learn, and we'd love to join.

Is there anyone else in BPL that belongs to VFTT that might be able to help, by 1) emailng Darren, the founder 2) by posting a thread in VFTT along the lines of "How to sponsor a new VFTT member," explaining that a fellow BPL member has been trying to join and has been sponsored by a current VFTT member, but has never heard back. Maybe Darren or an admin would respond better to a thread, as the only instructions for sponsoring a member are to just email Darren.

I'd sincerely appreciate your help. Please PM me if you can be of help and I'll send you my emails and info.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,
    I have been a member there for several years.

I just logged in and read through some recent messages. Someone email Darren and asked about a new member they were sponsoring. Darren wrote back and said he does that about once a month and he was working a lot right now.

You may know all this by now.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Hi Bill,

I saw the same post because someone from our BPL forum who is also in VFTT was kind enough to try several times to sponsor me. This is not a BPL issue but a VFTT one, but suffice it to say that I emailed Darren for months and didn't hear back for ages; finally I received a one line response to the effect of – "go find someone to sponsor you." I was pretty surprised – given that there was no way to message anyone on VFTT, I had to wait until one BPLer mentioned that he was a member and I explained the situation and he offered to sponsor me.

That BPLer emailed Darren 3 times going back at least 6 weeks, expressing puzzlement himself, and today suggesting trying to find more VFTT members to help out. He also posted that thread in the interests of finding out if something about registration had changed, and trying to find someone to help out.

The whole reason I was trying to get on VFTT recently was to get information on certain trails and trail conditions, particularly for winter, prior to a Berkshires fall trip and a N Vermont winter snowshoeing and ski trip.

I think that Darren and the members of VFTT have created a special community and resource – but how many people who may have encountered the same barriers and the same welcome just gave up? If Darren wants VFTT to be something that endures and encourages enjoyment and preservation of the outdoors, wouldn't it be best to have several VFTT forum moderators be responsible for registering new people, and not have it all fall on one founder who explains he is already working long hours?

You left out that in response to that thread, Darren also said – I'm backed up, but the price is free, so let them wait. a) that's some welcome b) that's a problem easily solved by having several forum moderators help register new members. If and when I have the opportunity to participate, I'll write a thoughtful, constructive post recommending very simple positive steps to make the experience of registering easier for VFTT, easier on Darren and more welcoming for new members.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools