Topic

Feb Superior Hiking Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Feb Superior Hiking Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

SHTA has a Feb 23 day hike on their events schedule.

I'm looking at attending that and then doing a short overnight from Gooseberry Falls State Park back to the Castle Danger trailhead.

Looking for folks to share the journey. I'm a Twin Cities resident … a carpool is a definite maybe if there are others.

Disclaimer: While I definitely work at going light, as my avatar suggests … I'm not particularly fast.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I'm an ultralight backpacker, Jim. But in the winter I prefer shorter miles and enough clothing to keep me warm. If this means my base weight goes from ten pounds to twelve so be it.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

in the winter I prefer shorter miles and enough clothing to keep me warm. If this means my base weight goes from ten pounds to twelve so be it.

well, Skurka's icebox gear list listed a base pack weight of more than 13lbs plus another 11 worn or carried. I won't be trying to match that.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I would be interested in doing the hike and a possilbe overnight. I'm just getting into winter backpacking so I still have a good deal of heavy equipment (aka sleeping bag). I'll see if I can do the overnight or just have to car camp somewhere along the trail.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Here's how my winter gearlist breaks down right now. This is theoretical though since this list has a number of new items I haven't tested this season. I didn't weigh my winter pack last year but it was probably a little heavier since I've upgraded my pack, sleeping bag and pad this season.

Worn or Carried – 9 lbs. 11.45 oz.
    Base Pack – 12 lbs. 12.47 oz.
    Consumables – 8 lbs. 0 oz.

Full Skin Out – 30 lbs. 7.92 oz.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

I have no idea what my system weights!

My biggest item will be my old sythetic 0 degree sleeping bag! Other than that one item I think my gear should be pretty good weight wise. Right now I'm working with what I have currently. I'm going to be picking up a few items soon though (stove and bag).

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

Jim,

I probably would not be able to stay overnight but I would be interested in joining you and whoever else is coming during the day on Saturday and/or Sunday. I could hike in with you from gooseberry and turn around and/or hike in from castle danger and meet up with you on Sunday. I do not have the equipment to do a winter overnight properly and I will not be able to acquire the equipment because I have to save up money for my adventures this summer.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Stuart –

The SHTA is doing a group snowshoe hike that day so come join us for that. A few of use just decided to continue onwards and camp out.

Chad –

my winter gear list is getting a bit heavier. I realize I left off my puffy pants and I only have one insulated jacket listed. The addition of those two items will mean another 16 to 20 ounces probably.

– Sam

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Sam,

Maybe I am confused. I thought that the SHTA hike was in duluth and Jim was talking about doing a separate trip up the shore later on the 23rd.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

I thought that the SHTA hike was in duluth and Jim was talking about doing a separate trip up the shore later on the 23rd.

Hi Stuart, my plan was (still is) to drive to Duluth in time for the SHTA day hike. Then do the day hike, which I think would occupy us till mid afternoon. Then drive up to Gooseberry and snowshoe upriver to one of the trail campsites for an overnight. On the next day either return to Gooseberry or continue on to Castle Danger depending on what the other overnighters prefer. At the moment there are three overnighters (including me)

I didn't weigh my winter pack last year … careful Sam, admissions like that might get you kicked off of BPL! hehe

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Stuart –

I didn't pay close enough attention to where the SHTA hike was – – my bad. We'll hopefully see you at the day hike and then us crazy folk will head northward for some backpacking.

– Sam

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

I think for the short weekend trip I will be experimenting with a home made pulk sled! I think I can make on for under $50 with some cord, a plastic kiddy sled, and some pvc piping.

I can't wait to see if this thing works ok. If it dose I'll look into getting / building a nicer one.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Chad,

Sounds great, I'll enjoy "going to school" on your experience;-)

You might want to check out skipulk.com

This guy is more or less the Bill Fornshell of the MYOG skipulk world and is several iterations ahead of most beginners. Also (last time I looked, anyway), he provided design/performance/plan info about most or all of his versions, allowing you to choose how elaboratly you want to start out.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

That's the site that gave me the pulk idea.

Right now I'm going to keep things simple with no special mechanical fittings, only lightweight wire gate carabiners clipped to webbing.

I plan on using an extra Granite Gear Hip belt to attach the pulk to. Also I am going to construct a rope break for the front of the sled.

If all goes well I will probably just order one from Bill's website as I don't have access to the tools necessary to build one as nice as his.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I made one, but the dragging noise on snow (loud on packed snow) was very annoying. If I try it again, I'd get a Jet Sled Jr. and see how that performs.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Thanks for the tip!

I don't think the noise will be something I can do anything about.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Well this weekend I'll be building my pulk sled. Next weekend I am getting out for an easy (short) backpacking trip so I can try and get bugs worked out of my system for the Feb. 23 trip!

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Well the pulk worked great!

Instead of doing the day hike in Duluth I'm going to be hiking south from Split Rock State Park to Gooseberry Falls State Park (6 miles). If anyone is interested in hiking this section of trail just let me know.

I'll meet the rest of the group at the Gooseberry visitor’s center around noon to start the Castle Danger section of the trail.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Chad, Jim, Kat, Sam and Todd on an overnighter at the Gooseberry Multi-group Campsite along the Superior Hiking Trail, February 23rd and 24th, 2008.

Chad and Sam headed up to the Split Rock Wayside, Sam with his pack and Chad with his pulk sled and hiked the six miles to the Gooseberry State Park headquarters. They arrived around 14:30 with plans to meet Jim, Kat and Todd at 15:00. Food was consumed outside the headquarters in the sun and the rest of the group arrived in a timely fashion. Everyone quickly gathered their gear and hit the trail for the 2.7 mile jaunt to the campsite.

The trail was packed powder having seen dozen of pairs of snowshoes previously in the season and made for easy walking. Chad vocalized he wished he hadn't added the fins to his pulk sled but seemed to maneuver it well regardless. Snowshoes weren't necessary but the crampons on them were handy for the ups and downs.

Arrival in camp was around 16:30-ish and everyone immediately set up their camps. Kat and Todd put up their respective tents, Jim rigged up his tarp and Sam and Chad laid down their bivies. All was set before dark and next, out came the cooksets. Food was warmed and snow melted for the evening and next day's water. Chad and Todd masterfully created a fire around which everyone sat, warmed and conversed for a couple of hours.

Winter camping is synonymous with early bed times and most hit the hay around 20:30. The stars were brilliant and the moon was very, very bright. No headlamp was necessary for potty breaks in the night. But the lack of clouds brought tempertures into the teens.

Eleven hours later the sun was peeking through the trees to the East and bodies climbed from their cocoons into the crisp morning air. Oatmeal, granola and coffee was warmed up, warm clothes were donned and the warmth of the sun put smiles on the campers faces. Everyone had eaten and packed for the trail by around 9:45. A little over an hour later we arrived back at Gooseberry headquarters, did some car shuttling, took a final group photo and were on our way home.

View Trip Photos

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Sam,

Thanks for posting the trip report and the pictures. Looks like you had a good time. The weather this weekend could not have been any better. I would be interested in doing a group trip like this in the spring if there was interest.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Yup, the trip was great! I got to fine tune my pulk design and had fun hiking with Sam.

The daytime weather was great but it did get cold at night. The actual temperatures are a bit hard to pin down. The national weather service says it was down to 12 degrees at night but weather.com and NOAA say it was between -2 and 7 degrees for areas 500 feet lower than our campsite.

I need to find a good thermometer to get accurate temperature readings!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Stuart –

When we were parting ways there was discussion of doing another trip come spring and summer.

– Sam

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools