Topic

Guyline Tensioners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Guyline Tensioners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

Can anyone recommend any UL guyline tensioners other than the ones that BPL sells? I really like the tensioners sold here, but don't need to drop the extra $10 on cord I already have!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

You might try a hay hitch (trucker's hitch). They work for me. With no added weight.

Kenneth Reppart
    BPL Member

@kreppart

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm with you – I wish BPL would offer the tensioners as a separate item.

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City
    HC
    BPL Member

@impulse04

The Mini Line-Lok Tent Cleat by Clamcleat, look a lot like the tensioners sold on this site.

Part# CL266
    material: nylon
    rope size: 0-3mm (0-1/8")
    weight: 0.5gm (0.02oz)

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

Hilleberg sells theirs 10 for $5. I like them. Here is a link:
    http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-109/Line-runners-for-2/Detail.bok

Mike Hinsley

@archnemesis

Locale: England, UK

I use a taut-line hitch on all my guys. Guys are 2-3mm para cord.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

I don't know if Gossamer Gear would do this for everyone but they were kind enough to send me some of their extra guyline tensioners (same as the TwinnSpinn Tarp). I really like their tensioners as I find them easier to tighten and release even with gloves on.

I plan on installing them on my hammock rain fly.

Michael Reagan

@michaelreagan

Locale: Southern California

I use the tautline hitch too. Why carry extra stuff when ten seconds learning how to tie the hitch gives you nice, tight guylines for life?

Michael

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

It looks like MLD is including tensioners with all of their tarp orders now. Oddly enough, these tensioners look exactly like the Tarp Tent tensioners, which I really like. I wonder where these guys are finding these tensioners?

Jay Well
    Spectator

@jwell

Locale: Willamette Valley

The tauntline hitch works well for me and it is a pretty easy knot to learn, is lightweight and can't break. This site has illustrated step by step instructions on how to tie it:

http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/tautlinehitch.htm

You can also see another example on the gossamer gear site under User Manuals -> Basic Knots.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

for the more slippery ropes I like to take an extra turn or two (or three or four) around the standing part (imagine a step 4.5 in the site Jay mentioned.

Kenneth Reppart
    BPL Member

@kreppart

Thanks for the link, I'll pick some of those up!

The taught line hitch is great but if it's raining I don't want to be tying it 6-10 times to set up my tarp. At 1/2g each the Line-Lok tensioners are plenty light.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I think you mean LineLoc 3 Ladderlocs.

I called them to ask about retail sellers and they gave me a phone number which appeared to be somewhere else in the same place. They were very helpful and were willing to sell small quantities.

These work very well with Triptease. I'm not sure how well they would work with 1/8" line, that's pushing the size limit. I doubt Aircore Spectra line would work with these (quite slippery) and I don't have Airecore Dyneema to try. I did try 250 lb braided dacron kite line and it held under tension but I didn't test in a wind.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

As of Jan 1 2008 we are using the LineLoc 3 Tensioners on all our non-poncho tarps and all shelters. (It would be a hassle going from poncho to tarp mode and back)

ITW Nexus came out with them about three years ago and we got a few samples then but until now did not use them for various reasons.

We have not updated all the weight specs on the site so the listed tarp/shelter weights are if you cut off the tensioners. It's easy to snip them off with wire cutters (leaving the standard 3/4 web loop intact) but I'm betting most folks will leave them on…You could snip off some and leave others too.

They weigh about .04 oz ea, so a tarp with 12 on it is almost .5oz more. The larger line needed weighs a bit more than smaller 1.8mm too, so figure maybe a total of 1 oz more for a tarp using the line and tensioners but the convienience is awesome and the tarp goes up a wee bit faster too.

They do require a bit larger line than we used to ship with the tarps. We've tested and had made special various lines to work with them. Some of the possible lines are still being protoyped but we do have a generic pedigreed, but quite nice, low stretch line in 2.8mm we are including that holds really well even when wet. With the right line (our 2.8mm does it) they will hold over 150lbs and not slip. Some slightly smaller lines may work but it really depends and the line size, core type, sheather type, and weave style.

We are including the 2.8 and our regular 1.8 SUL line with each tarp/shelter for the user to pick and choose from.

For you DYI'ers, the tensioners are not avialable in small qty's anywhere I know–you have to get a min of 1,000 and the suppliers only sell to companies anyway…

Sorry, we can't sell the Linelocs for dyi'ers.

If you have an older MLD tarp and would like the new ones to put on yourself, send a 6X9 manila SASE envelope with $1.50 postage on it and we will send you 30' of line and tensioners free. If you would like us to upgrade your older MLD tarp, send us your tarp and $25 and we will upgrade your tarp and pay the postage to return it in the US.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Alternatively, here is a self tensioning line… slightly heavier…. but stake it out… still taut in the AM even after rain or heavy dew which causes silnyl to stretch and get floppy or necessitate re-tensioning…. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Self%20Tensioning%20Lines.htm

Pan

Paul in Texas
    BPL Member

@hiking8388

Locale: North Texas

The guyline tensioners that BPL sells can be purchased from Fisheries Supply in Seattle.

Here's the link:

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/online/search.asp/mode/1/Ntt/clamcleat/N/%2d124941/Nty/1l/catalog_name/FISCO/act/A99/Ntx/mode+matchpartial+rel+Inactive

PLR

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak

Quest sells them for 45 cents a piece with discounts for larger orders.

Kenneth Reppart
    BPL Member

@kreppart

I stopped by Fisheries Supply in Seattle and cleaned them out. Great little tensioners but expensive at 75 cents each.

The customer service at Fisheries Supply left plenty to be desired. First the salesperson said they didn't carry them. When I insisted that I'd seen them on their website she got out a catalog and tried to look them up. Only after continuing to insist did she figure it out and then I had to wait for someone to bring them up from the basement.

If you're planning on picking some up when they restock I'd suggest ordering online and picking up at will call.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools