Topic

SoCal BPL Meetups / Trips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips SoCal BPL Meetups / Trips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Here's our attempt at consolidating the Southern California BPL personalities into a single thread for organizing meet n' greets and local trips.

This isn't the best forum engine for organizing and scheduling, but we're here, so lets give it a shot.

Please introduce yourself, or just offer an e-mail, and feel free to post any trips or trip ideas, be they weekenders or multi-day treks in the SoCal or Central Cali areas. If you'd like to propose a weekday or weekend opportunity for BPL'ers to swap stories, compare gear, speed test alky stoves, or share a recipe, this could be the place.

-Michael
    michaelATdepletedDOTnet

Anitra Kass

@anitraten

Locale: SoCal

Excuse the cross post but I want to put this in the correct spot.

Oh yeah, my name is Anitra but my friends call me NITRO. Living in SoCal and getting cabin fever.

Here's my trip info.
    Jan. 26. Sat. Section C Catch-up. (CDP&R/Lake Silverwood Map C 15). Will be working trail North from Highway 138 at Silverwood Lake. It will involve brushing, tread repair, re-establishing runoff control. Tools provided. Lunch, snacks and refreshments provided. Meet at SBNF Mormon Rocks Fire Station at 7:30 am. Exit I-15 at Cajon Junction; drive west on Hwy 138 for 1.6 miles to junction with Lone Pine Canyon Road. Continue 0.3 mi west on Hwy 138. Station is on your left. Contact John Hachey via e-mail @ goaliejhachey(AT)msn(DOT)com.

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

i'm stuck down in Orange County, somewhere in the vicinity of Irvine. Sometime this spring i may attempt to hike the length of the Santa Ana mountains from Ortega Hwy to the 91. but mostly i am committed to full-time (meaning 24/7) mommyhood, as i have two little boys who are still very much dependent on me.

i'm available for an occasional weeknight blab-fest and might be able to escape for a trip once or twice in a while. i'm not SUL, just as light as I'm comfortable with being.

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

I'm smack in the middle of LA. I'm always looking for a quick (or even better, long) trip when I can manage the time. I'm going to check into that PCT trail maintenance trip and see if I can swing it. I just moved to LA, and I'd be really nice to meet some like-minded people here. I can be reached at hiker816(AT)gmail(DOT)com, or Christopher(DOT)S(DOT)Mills(AT)gmail(DOT)com.

Brian Sims

@mtnfiend

Locale: Pasadena, CA

I am a backpacker and biker (road and mountain). I have been taking what I learn from the UL crowd here over to the mountain bike forums. I am trying to get into bikepacking (think backpacking with bikes) this year. I have my first trip planned in February in the Angeles.

We are going to start at Clear Creek and bike up the fireroad to Josephine Saddle, around the backside of Strawberry Peak to Red Box, up Mt. Wilson Rd to the Rattlesnake Trail and camp at West Fork. The next day ride up to Newcombs Pass and out Chantry.

Right now my base weight is about 8 pounds but I still need to get a few more items. My gear will be distributed between a custom frame for the front triangle, sleeping bag behind seat, sleeping pad attached to handlebar, and dense heavy items in backpack.

I live and work in Pasadena and mainly play in the Angeles and Sierra. My friends and I are working on climbing the CA 14ers. This year we will attempt Russell again.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi Brian,

Well, I don't live in your neck of the woods, but I share your passions. I think you'll enjoy an article that I wrote that will appear in the next print issue of BackpackingLight. A group of us did the North Umpqua Trail in Oregon with ultralight packs. About 80 miles of serious singletrack through some incredible country.

Ultralight gear and bike touring are a great combo. There's a review of a Wingnut Gear pack that I used on the trip on this site that you might enjoy.

Good luck finding partners for great bikepacking trips!

Doug

Anitra Kass

@anitraten

Hey guys, just an FYI, the trail maint. that I posted has been postponed due to weather. It's going to take place on Feb 2. If you are interested email John. His email is in my previous posting. Hope to see some of you there,
    Anitra

Anitra Kass

@anitraten

Yesterday, Feb 2, we had a trailwork day near Silverwood Lake State Park. Weather was pretty good, company was great and we got a good bit of PCT tread in much better shape. Chris, another SoCal BPL member, made the long journey to come out and work on the trail. It was great to meet another BPL member in person so thanks for coming out Chris!

I'll post the next work trip I do in case any one else is interested and just couldn't make it to this one. Hope to see you soon, but if not…Happy Trails,
    Anitra/NITRO

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

I'll second Nitro's comments. The trail work event was a good time, and a good way to assuage my guilt over constantly using trails that everyone else works so hard to maintain. It'd be cool to get some more BPL'ers out next time to put some names with faces & trade notes.
    –Chris, aka Hiker 816

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

i would have loved to go but i had the Death Flu for 6 days and as of today i am still weak and can't stand up for more than 10 minutes. please do keep us posted about upcoming events. my oldest boy is now capable of being somewhat helpful and i want to get him started with volunteering.

Anitra Kass

@anitraten

Colleen (and anyone else)
    Don't stress, I'll keep posting the events I am going to. Hope you are feeling better. It's great that you are working on teaching your son the virtue of volunteerism. I'll let you know the next event.
    Anitra/NITRO

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

It sounds like this was the BPL meet n' greet power weekend for California. I'm very sorry I wasn't at the PCT repair trip but we'd planned another round-up in Yosemite. Where 3 feet of snow stranded 4 BPL members at Badger Pass. Congratulations to all of you who are putting it out there to create a new BPL community front.

Anitra, keep us in the loop!

Everyone, just keep posting and showing. Large or small.

-Michael

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Joshua Tree National Park, Ca, USA
    2/16 – 2/17 Weekender, one night
    40+ mile ttl

If anyone is interested: I was planning to head out to JT for a light n' fast weekend on the CRHT, California Riding and Hiking Trail, in two weeks. It'll be an early start on Saturday to log some 20+ miles each day, out and back. I'd really like to do 30 but I'm not sure I'm ready for that. A truly wonderful High Desert experience, good conditioning and maybe another chance to meet some BPL members.

It's 3.5 hours from your LA doorstep to the trail head. I'll drive up Friday around 8PM, drop a water resupply (maybe) and stay overnight at the trail head at Black Rock Campground. Saturday morning is an early start to get those miles in before nightfall. Back the same way Sunday and home by 10PM.

Hope to see you all sometime soon!

-Michael

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Locale: PNW

I might be down for that. PM me with the details! J Tree isn't too far from me (Phoenix).

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Trip is confirmed and so is Douglas Johnson (not THE Douglas Johnson, but the impostor from AZ).

It's going to be gorgeous: clear skies, high in the mid-70's, lows in the 40's.

We're staging a car at either end, and a water resupply in between. Sleeping Friday night at the trail head at Black Rock Canyon; leaping out of our sacks Saturday morning to begin the 37 miles; completing this at the North Entrance on Sunday; back in time for supper and beer.

If anyone else is interested, PM me before Friday. It's really going to be a lovely and easy trip.

-Michael

Anitra Kass

@anitraten

I'm jealous, wish I could meet up with you guys, JT is so close to my house. But I am using my 3 day weekend to visit some hiking friends in the Bay Area. But thanks for posting it…keep posting, I hope to meet up with everyone soon.
    Anitra/NITRO

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

THE Doug Johnson? Man, I will forever bee in his shadow!!! Just call me Sponge, that's what I go by at work…no confusion there =)

I'm psyched about the trip, wish you could make it out Anitra. I've never been to J-Tree, so it should be awesome!

Michael Chamoun
    BPL Member

@snowchief

Hey Doug and SoCal BPLiters,

My name is Mike (aka Nano) and I live in Venice Beach. Would love to get in on some SoCal backpacking trips, trail work or whatever. I have backpacked the JMT 06 and CT 07 and doing another JMT trip this summer before PCT 09. If you guys want to know more about me visit my trail journals. http://www.trailjournals.com/nano
    Hope to hear back!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Nano-

I am also doing the JMT this summer (August). When are you planning on starting? BTW-Nice Trailjournal! I have mine up as well at http://www.trailjournals.com/sponge

Patrick Coulson

@pcoulson

Locale: No California

Michael/Douglas,

When are you doing the JMT? I would be up for doing it if you are looking for company. I was thinking about doing it this year as well.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Not sure about Nano, but I'm planning on starting around the 24th of August. PM me if you're interested in my itinerary.

Thanks!

Michael Chamoun
    BPL Member

@snowchief

Sorry for the long delay! Anyway, I am starting the JMT July 10 and I plan on finishing in roughly 9 days, barring any setbacks. Sponge I like your trail journals too but not many JMT trail journals so far. :( Let me know if anyone is planning a trip this spring and summer. Heading to the Grand Canyon mid-March for 4 days for some great hiking!
    Hope you guys are having a good March!

Michael Chamoun
    BPL Member

@snowchief

Hey guys,

Got back from the Grand Canyon on Sat. and what a magnificent place. Here are the photos if anyone is interested.

http://picasaweb.google.com/nano.michael/GrandCanyon

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

I love the GC…looks like an awe-inspiring trip! Thanks for sharing.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools