Topic

Section Hiking the PCT with a 10 year old?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Section Hiking the PCT with a 10 year old?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    joseph daluz

@jfdiberian

Locale: Columbia River Gorge

I am thinking about doing section H with my 10 year old, or a part thereof. My concerns are in terms of what would she do if something happens to me. I was thinking about renting a Sattellite Phone. Any thoughts on long distance hiking with minors, or the Sat Phone rental?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Well, I hike with my son often.

What have I done over time? One thing is I always have ID for both of us on us. You can get ID for your kid at any DOL office for a couple bucks. This helps as it has your kids info on it. Let the kid know where it is in their pack. Same with yours. Also, if you have medical issues? Wear a bracelet that says what they are.

Talk to your kid about what they should do if you get hurt (or in worse case…fell off a cliff, etc and they were separated). One thing about the PCT is how heavily traveled it is, giving a better margin of safety if something did happen. Let the kid know that if anything did happen to not leave where you were. Stay on the trail till they can be rescued.

A phone isn't a bad thing, neither is a PLB. Both are pricey. But yes, there is the additional stress of having your kid along – and the worries about them.

Truth be told though? On long trips I don't go with just him. Day hikes and stuff are fine for us together, but overnighters and on? I like having a second adult along. At 10 most kids can handle bad stuff, any younger no.

Mark Mendell
    BPL Member

@mmendell

Locale: Midwest

I've done 3 hiking seasons now with my two girls, now 10 and 14. We've done a couple of 4-day trips now. We discuss what they are to do in case I get hurt, and I encourage them to work out map details with me.

They're more comfortable with a phone along, but the areas we hike have very limited to no coverage at all. Since I've started with some solo hiking, I'm considering a PLB, but haven't been able to swallow the price tag yet.

Frankly, I would be comfortable with either of my girls on a long trek, but I'm not going to drag them out there before they are ready. If they can get excited over a more rigorous trek, then I'll have them so some planning with me and we'll go. I don't want to wreck their enthusiasm for backpacking by pushing too hard.

My 14-year-old and I would love to do a long trip through SE Alaska via the ferry from Bellingham, WA, but I'm not convinced we're ready yet. That's on the back burner for now.

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

That is a very long section, study the bailouts as it is remote. Wish I could comment further, but I've only gotten as far as 'I' (from the North).

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

This book may be of interest. About a ten year old girl who Thru-Hiked the PCT in 04. She rocks! http://www.wildernesspress.com/book337.htm Check it out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools