Topic

MYO vestibule for BD firstlight tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYO vestibule for BD firstlight tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Chad Clay

@chadfromohio

Has anyone made or seen a homemade vestibule for the Black Diamond Firstlight tent? BD offers a vestibule but it has a pole and is heavy, around 1.5 lbs. I am considering making a simple "awning" out of a triangular (or square/diamond?) tarp that would run from the apex of the tent out to a pole/tree with 2-3 feet of coverage. I just want something to cook under in the rain and to keep rain from blowing inside my tent door when entering/exiting. Any ideas, let me know. Thanks

Forrest G McCarthy
    BPL Member

@forrestmccarthy

Locale: Planet Earth

I have been considering the same thing. It seems silly to have a vestibule that weighs nearly as much as the tent itself. Stitching on the vestibule may create leeks. The seams will need a good dose of Seam Grip. Welding the vestibule on may be a better option.

Let me know how it works for you. If I do it to my Firstlight, it will become purely a snow camping tent. I would then cut out the bug netting as well.

I spoke with Fibraplex about making carbon fiber Firstlight tent poles that locked and doubled as avalanche probes. They seemed interested in trying it. I have yet to hear back from them.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I was thinking of buying the BD OneShot last year and spoke with a BD representative about making my own vestibule that uses one hiking pole to hold it away from the tent and create a good space in front of the tent. The main problem is finding a way to attach the vestibule to the tent.The OneShot doesn't have the attachment loops that the other tents have.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Miguel:

I haven't done this, but if you have a sewing machine (or you have the patient of a saint to sew by hand), I think it's do-able.

Take a look at the Sierra Designs Baku tent — which is shaped very similar to the BD OneShot — but it's got a vestibule flap.

Now, the BD One Shot has a small awning all around the door. I am thinking that you can sew a silnylon "vestibule flap" to the outer edge of the BD awning — and then seal the seam with Silnet or similar. For easier use, you can even add a zipper for half or three quarters of the length.

The risk to the tent itself should be minimal, since you are only sewing along the outer edge of the awning.

The same can be applied to the Firstlight. Indeed, being a smaller door, the weight of the vestibule flap should be quite a bit lighter. The vestibule will of course be tiny as well — just enough to provide a protected space for one's pack and boots at night.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

I was going to start a new thread on this very subject, but stumbled upon this old one, so I thought I would resurrect it for economy of typing.

A curt summary of some key design concepts:

– MYOG vestible for BD Epic/Nanoshield tents (model specific)
    – utilize trekking pole(s) rather than additonal hoop
    – Anyone say, "Cuben" – methinks the perfect vestibule fabric for an otherwise self-sufficient tent.
    – minimal (single, if possible) stake point(s)
    – convertible from awning to vestibule

I don't own one of these (yet), but ever since using Biblers from back in the day, I wanted to find a way to have a more weight-appropriate and functional vestibule than the stock options.

Now I know I'm not the only one here who has had similar thoughts for these tent designs, so let's here some more ideas, eh.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I still like my idea up top — but wonder if any Firstlight owners have tried it?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Try this way. You can use a trekking pole/stick or hook it up to a tree.
    This particular tarp is 5'x9'. No need to modify your tent at all.
    Hook the mid rear to the apex of your tent and just peg down the four corners.
    (the tarp will cover about 1/3rd of your Firstlight but there should be plenty of cover in front of it)
    Ext vestibule

Franco

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I do something similar to Francos solution with my Stephensons 2R.TARP OVER 2R

Steve Cain

@hoosierdaddy

Locale: Western Washington

And yet another way to do it with a Rainbow:

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Me too…
    Rainbow porch
    Franco

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hybrid Shelter
    Sublite-Sil
    Equinox 6×8 Tarp

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

OK, I promise this is my last one…
    Sublite ext

Note that my version only uses two poles…
    (did that one just to see if it could be done)
    Franco

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools