Topic

Skurka looking for expedition ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Skurka looking for expedition ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Andrew,

Maybe doing a school tour or something, with outreach towards children. Maybe even working with Richard Luov, to help "save our children of nature-deficit disorder".

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I am 15 years old, the last few years I have learned alot about ultralight backpacking, and have done my share of long distance backpacking without resupply, dialed in my gearlist fairly completely, have had no problems averaging 25-30+ miles on the trail, and have some big plans for the future when it comes to thru-hiking.

I have enjoyed reviewing many of Andy's trips, and have used them in planning for many of my own trips, and future goals.

I would love to accompany Skurka if he does chose to go this route with his '09 expedition. there is alot I could learn from him, even after years of obsessing over ultralight gear and the outdoors, I have never had a thru-hike experience.

'08 however, Im doing my own ~270 mile 10 day CDT segment with my dad

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

run as many ultramarathons as you can, but walking right out your front door and hiking to get to them. The Hardrock 100 comes to mind since it is right up the road from me, and really nuts.

Do you have much rock climbing or mountaineering interest?

a trek along the coast of Greenland, with a packraft.

The Northwest passage, on foot and packraft.

Climb as many 13,000ft or more peaks in a week/month/however long as you can, without vehicle support. Wind Rivers or San Juans. The more obscure and/or technical the peaks the better.

Follow Ernest Shackleton's path from Elephant Island to South Georgia Island, (800 ocean miles) and traverse the length of the island (107 mountain miles)

Ryan Klym

@breaks

Locale: Flat Ohio

Adam,

You're right on the Bicentennial being a horse/bike trail. I think the appeal there would be the distance and conquering some of the longest published trails in Australia. Agree with your statement on the "crown".

After thinking about this a bit more, although it would be a very significant trip, it doesn't seem right for Andy.

I'm going to talk about him like he's not here for a second. For his 2008 trips, there's honestly a ton of trails he could bang out in North America to keep him busy.

But for 2009 — if you think about his accomplishments and progressions, it's probably not appealing to simply do a long trail system simply because "it's there". I don't think the old "why do you climb a mountain?" rhetoric works in his case anymore. To me, he needs something the typical hiker with 9 months off generally couldn't (or wouldn't) do.

I can think of trail systems in Switzerland, the UK (he could probably walk the UK in 2 weeks), and Italy that would be interesting to see, but not necessarily a challenge nor a reason to be; simple just a few trails to walk.

So I need to think about this. Where can we get him that most people have never thought about, without over complicating the trip due to language and shipping barriers (mail resupply from the US probably not feasible for an international trip thanks to Customs)? Maybe we should ask Bear Grylls? Haha.

I'll post more soon. Have some ideas on this I need to flesh out.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Ryan –

You have identified the issue perfectly. I really have no interest in doing something that others can easily do, unless it sets me up for a later trip that nobody else can do. I think part of 2008 must be devoted to setting myself up for a 2009 trip, i.e. if I'm going to traverse an Australian desert, I think it'd be in my interest to get there this year in order to experience it some first.

Regarding the teen outreach hike, let's keep talking about this, as I think it's a very interesting idea. There couldn't be a better partner than Richard Louv, and I think this would have tremendous media potential, which could really help to further the messages, e.g. students in schools that I can't get to are likely to hear about it. I'm not sure I would want to devote a super-long length of time to this project, but I could definitely see a 2-3 month stretch of walking or biking from school to school.

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Given the need for the growing country's environmental problems China may be an interesting trip for your concerns, Andrew. Plus I heard they have some long wall or fence or something…

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

This has been mentioned before, I think by one of my friends. Any idea on how the gov't would react to a Westerner who is traveling there specifically to raise the issue of significant environmental degradation caused by unchecked economic growth?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> there is also the Pennine Way in great britan. 270-mile walk that will take you from the Peak District National Park along the Pennine ridge through the Yorkshire Dales, up into Northumberland, across the Cheviots, setting you down in the Scottish Borders.

Yes, it's a nice trip, but the weather is VERY different from America. Like the Inuit with snow, the Poms have many words for bad weather and precipitation – and justifiably so. You would need a very different range of gear from the tarps and UL windshirts of America.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Locale: PNW

China is weaksauce! How about Pakistan? Lots of rugged terrain to traverse over there. Only a marginal chance you'd be taken hostage, and you could pass on your message to a much larger geopolitically charged crowd…

Seriously though, how about throwing in the Mongolian steppe into your China adventure? A lot of "firsts" out there.

Or, you could head to Angola, Brazil, or Sudan/Darfur to raise awareness of the atrocities taking place in the name of oil dependance. Might be a bit bleak for an inspiring trip though!

(I like the kid idea as well)

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

There is a variation the Bicentennial trail that is very challenging and that is to walk the Great Divide watershed from Western Victoria to Cape York (6700 km) it uses some of the Bicentennial trail tracks and has lots of serious bushwhacking. It has been done before.
    http://www.john.chapman.name/bicent.html

Some other challenging walks in Tasmania are the West Coast walk it takes 28 days to walk 165 km, there are no tracks or sign of people just coastal wilderness.
    http://www.john.chapman.name/tas-wc.html

Probably the ultimate Tasmanian wilderness challenge is to walk through the South West Wilderness I have read that in some areas you can travel as much as 500meters a day.

Tony

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

"Any idea on how the gov't would react to a Westerner who is traveling there specifically to raise the issue of significant environmental degradation caused by unchecked economic growth?"

They would react negatively. You would never get a visa and even if you did, you'd never get to do anything they were unhappy with. The environment's an extremely touchy issue on its own, and then more so because of the way it feeds into other political issues such as the disparity in economic development between provinces and the way local party functionaries are corruptly stealing land and resources from local people. If you raised the environmental problems caused by their use of coal you'd end up discussing the death rate of the prisoners who do a lot of the coal digging. None of these are issues they'd want aired in the year they're holding the Olympics.

Ryan Klym

@breaks

Locale: Flat Ohio

Well Andy, you mentioned you have not done much in the Deep South, so maybe this would be an opportunity for you. You could consider starting in Florida on the Florida Trail then hike up to its terminus, stopping at schools along the way.

Then you could consider biking from the FT northern terminus up to the southern terminus of the Natchez Trace trail and take it to Nashville. That would be a a decent length trek. Or you could flip it and probably find a decent option to packraft down the Mississippi for the final section of the Natchez.

Like mentioned, partnering with Louv and a group like Keep America Beautiful could help get your story out. In addition, by targeting cities along that route, you could certainly get in touch with the state education boards, location school boards, Boy Scout troops, etc. I am sure they would be happy to help. From a brief glance at the maps, you could visit Nashville, Jackson, Natchez, Pensacola, Jacksonville, and Orlando without terrible effort.

Hiking, rafting, biking, and helping kids all in one trip. And not to mention, you wouldn't have to deal with your water freezing ;)

Just a thought…

Forrest G McCarthy
    BPL Member

@forrestmccarthy

Locale: Planet Earth

A mega walk across Asia (the largest continent) would be the ultimate adventure/challenge. A cultural element would add a lot to the trip. Somebody mentioned the Silk Road. Walking the length of the Himalaya is another possibility. Or how about a reenactment of The Long Walk: A true Story of A Trek to Freedom.

An environmental crusade is admirable. However, as Arapiles (?), mentioned a political agenda would make traveling and obtaining Visas difficult. You could write a book afterwards. Regardless, spending a year traveling across Asia, on foot, would challenge any Westerner’s pre-conceived views on population, culture, environment, politics, etc.,. It would be a fantastic cultural and spiritual journey as much as a physical one.

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Andy,

I think it's important to stay in North America if your goal is the light-footprint lifestyle, climate change awareness, etc. We're certainly in the most need of the wake up call at this point. Doing a trip in the UK – or anywhere in Europe – is preaching to the choir.

It seems to me the "missing" piece from your collection is a true North-South trip of the U.S. I'm not sure if it's been done – I'm not aware of it – or if it's even possible, but a trip from the northern limits of Alaska to the southern border would be amazing. It would certainly highlight global climate change since the impact is pretty obvious up there from what I hear. Might shed a neat perspective on Arctic drilling and resource extraction, too.

I'm thinking an Alaska/BC/Washington/Oregon/California route. You've hiked coast to coast East-West. The North-South would be pretty amazing. Might be too impossible, however, without air support and ridiculous logistics. And it would redefine looooong.

Seems like it's one of the last uncompleted "lines" left in North America, though. Regardless what you choose, I'm sure we'll all have fun living vicariously through you. The podcasts were great – very much appreciated!

-Curt

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Here is something crazy but different outside of the US.

Starting in Singapore with a Packraft rigged with a small sail work your way around the Indonesian Islands.

Go across to Malaysia, over and through Indonesia all the way back around to Singapore.

You would only, (maybe) have to hire a boat for one 60 mile section but the rest are short and there are only a few that are around 20 miles.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

>>"Here is something crazy but different outside of the US.

Starting in Singapore with a Packraft rigged with a small sail work your way around the Indonesian Islands.

Go across to Malaysia, over and through Indonesia all the way back around to Singapore.

You would only, (maybe) have to hire a boat for one 60 mile section but the rest are short and there are only a few that are around 20 miles.">>

I agree, that is NUTS!!! I laughing though, not because I think the idea is nuts or stupid, but because it would be so much fun!!! That would be awesome!

Why not no traverse from Malaysia-Singapore-Indonesia-PNG-Australia?

The longest sections might be better served with a folding sea kayak. You could drag it on a cart or pack it in a decent rucksack? With this area being so populous (well, until you get right into Irian Jaya (West Papua), formost of the trip the focus would be living with locals along the way and learning their culture, interacting with them, etc. This would be a really good trip, and would really be an eye-opener, for pretty much anyone.

Great Idea Aaron!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> Starting in Singapore with a Packraft rigged with a small sail work your way around the Indonesian Islands.

Just remember that the Malacca Straits currently have the world's highest level of nautical piracy ever, with high speed armed pirate boats taking out small freighters on a regular basis.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I was thinking about piracy…could be a hoot! Or not…

dingle berrry
    BPL Member

@thedanwhalley

How about an U.K trip, not as remote as some places in the world but great waking!

TGO challenge is coast to coast in Scotland but entry’s are already in I think for this year, but you could do your own trip!

West highland way trail Scotland?

Pembrokeshire Coast trail, Wales?

And 1 on my list to do!

Cape Wrath Trail, scotland,
    "The Cape Wrath long distance Trail is just short of 200-miles long and runs from Fort William to the most north-west tip of the Scottish mainland, a challenging and often remote route which, in essence, could be described as the hardest long distance backpacking route in the UK"

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Dan

> Cape Wrath Trail, scotland,
    Where did you get the quote from?

Cheers

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

I've got some more thoughts on this that I will express tomorrow. I was traveling yesterday and today I've been accompanied by NITRO, of thru-hiker fame, so not too much time online. More coming… Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far.

dingle berrry
    BPL Member

@thedanwhalley

Hi Roger

Yer the quote is from the web site -http://www.capewrathtrail.co.uk/

I think its a quite a new web site that Camren Mcneish (TGO Magazine editor) has something to do with.

Looks like a great route!

Robert McGaughey

@havoc

Locale: North Texas

Howdy annointed one. How about all of Colorado's 14ers or Death Valley to Mt. Whitney.

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

no ideas on a specific route, but Mexico is a land of dizzying extremes and could present quite a challenge. there are also compelling social and developmental/environmental issues there.

however, i agree that doing something with the hiking for child fitness awareness is a great idea.

Kevin Clayton

@kclayton

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

You could try to get into Iran and Turkey and traverse the Zagros Mountain Range-1,500 km long. There are a few mountains that exceed 4,000 meters.
    Major difficulties would include: getting into Iran!, few trails, remote locations, difficult resupplying, possible hostilities, dry arid conditions, and who knows what else.
    You could do this for peace in the area or just to explore thousands of years of history.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools