Topic

My first jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My first jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Casey Cardwell
    BPL Member

@niles

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon

I've been meaning to do this for a long time now, but I finally got around to figuring out how to make a jacket. I bought a book on pattern making ("How to make sewing patterns"), made a sort of manikin, and went to town. Here's a picture of the jacket pattern put together with 1.9oz Silnylon.

The Jacket

And a close-up of the hood:

The Hood

The hood stores away into the collar, but it make the collar pretty bulky for such a thin jacket.

This is just a test piece right now, because I'm thinking I'd like to make the final project out of some Supplex that I've got. Do you think supplex is a good choice for this pattern?

For anyone who's interested, using a home-made manikin for creating and fitting your own patterns is awesome. Here's a picture of my manikin with a pullover I was making:

Manikin

It's just a t-shirt wrapped in duct tape and filled with fabric. To make one, simply get someone to wrap you in duct tape, cut the whole thing off, tape it back together, and then stuff it. Voila, an exact duplicate of you.

Any advice on the jacket or ideas for the final project would be much appreciated.

Thanks

David Gilbert

@david0815

hej,

your jacket is looking really good for your first jacket project.

IMO Silnylon isn´t an appropriate material for a jacket (aside SUL-rainsheds) because it´s not breathable.
    Supplex would be better (breathable), but not that waterproof.

David

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools