Topic

2008 Golite Shelters @

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2008 Golite Shelters @

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

While I won't argue about the merit of these shelters at this point, my take on Golite is it fills a unique niche as a company.
    Golite, at its size, is more of a gateway drug to ultra light, a good place for the masses to venture into the ultra light realm.
    I know it was for me: I started with a Golite Down Vest, poncho, and Den 2 shelter (not a popular choice around here, but serves me well enough).
    Starting as a NOLS trained heavy-pack hiker, companies like Gossamer Gear, Six Moon Designs, and Tarptent were too unfamiliar to me to start.
    And even once Golite has 'em hooked, they have packs and sleeping bags/quilts that are still good for the more seasoned ultralighters.
    All that being said, It would be nice if Golite had an equivalent to the Jam2 or Venture quilt in its shelter line to keep us crazies happy.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

A few hours later….
    We have had some sporadic heavy showers with some drizzle in between and the result is that there are several drops forming a few small puddles on the floor, not in the cornres..( big drops, not mist). If this was the case at the end of a long rainy night , it would be fine by me, but not after a few hours of rain.Since the heavy rain only lasted a few minutes at a time , I am pretty sure that in the sort of conditions I have had the Contral in Nepal ( several hours of continuous torrential rain) or down the coast here, I would have had a series of steady drips raining on me. As noted before, most of the dripping (if not all) comes from the poles.(there were several drops on them when I checked) Since I was not inside the tent and the poles were not noticeably colder than the fabric (it's 25c outside) I can only deduce that the major problem is caused by the fabric wetting out under pressure. Anecdotally if the fabric is dirty it loses it's "waterproffness "(water resistance…) and I have experienced that as well, but today the tent was clean and in spite of some wind driven side rain, only the top was leaking.
    Franco

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak

I had been looking at the Hex 3 for a while as a winter shelter (esp. b/c of the rave review on BPL). So then here comes the Shangri-La 3. I bought it last night for $180 shipped (let the golite flaming continue). There are conflicting specs out there depending on which site you look at, but the two shelters look almost identical. I'll post some measurements and pics after I recieve it.
    Oh yeah, and thanks FamilyGuy!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The Utopia 1 (2 lbs) is similar to my Eureka Zeus 1 Exo (2.5 lbs with the floor and front door cut out), only better. But, there may very well be ice crystals floating in the air when you wake up in the middle of the night as I get in mine. At least the Zeus has low and high vents whereas the Utopia only has mid vents. I wonder how wide the Utopia is?

Yep, the floor width of the utopia 1 should be around 30 inches, sorta narrow, but it can be widened by pulling out floor-level side stake outs.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

There appear to be some confusion about the material of the new Go Lite line up, not helped by the fact that they do not appear ,still ,on their site.
    As far as I understand, the Utopia and Shangri La are made out of silnylon (SilLite) , but the Valhalla and Xanadu have the body made with Epic and the vestibule from silnylon and not the other way around as reported…. ?????

Overall, I think that Go Lite should be commended ( in spite of some of the comments above, including mine) for releasing at least 15 new or redesigned shelters that, taking into account the 4 season rating on most of them, can be considered light if not UltraLite.

Again I am not sure about Epic, my Lighthouse performed very well in snow (limited experience) but still have mixed results under rain. I have started another thread about this point.
    Franco

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I'd really like to know which it is, the body is Epic or the fly is Epic. If the fly is Epic then it may very well be a shelter I'd like to look at, since it makes a lot of sense. If the other way, however, then it isn't really a shelter that I'd consider, especially with a vestibule that can take more rain than the body!

I've been considering the Xanadu 1 because I want a wind-stable, waterproof tent similar to the BD One Shot, but with a vestibule and a canopy that can really take rain.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Miguel
    My sentiment exactly. What you describe is the kind of tent I am after, side entrance, reasonable sized vestibule, almost freestanding and with a waterproof canopy. I think that Epic can work well as a breathable and water-resistant vestibule, particularly not having pressure points. Maybe we have to wait for the 09 version.
    Franco

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I dont really have any interest in the new golite shelters, Im kind of dissapointed. I just hope they do not discontinue old shelters like the ponch-tarp, and cave.

I am really excited about the new line up of sleeping bags though, golite finally got ther act together. I am confused about the 1lb 13oz weight listing I saw for the venture quilt, when BPL has been talking about an impressive 1lb 3oz weight.

all in all, golite is still one of my favorite companies, but I have been dissapointed in some of their new gear and clothing.

I wish I could still get my hands on some of their old clothes/backpacks/ect. that were replaced by less appealing gear

Anonymous
    Inactive

SteveO,

Congrats on your new tipi. I have been using the Hex 3 the last several years for winter backpacking and it has served me well, especially in wet nasty weather. Please let me know what the differences are when you have had a chance to erect and inspect. Thanks, John

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Would applaud Golite for their relaunch of shelters, sleep systems and 07 packs. Seems like they are concerned with mass market UL appeal and getting more folks on board that might have different shelter needs depending on there location and time of the year they would most likely be out using.

Would also give them credit for offering multiple component & sizing options, found on this end as a year round user with extreme seasonal differences that a one size fits all type of shelter is not the best solution. As far as bug netting goes, glad it’s an option since bug netting would only be needed for maybe 3 months of the year up here. As far as a floor is concerned would prefer a ground cloth under sleep system saving weight and allowing user to wear footwear inside to keep feet warm during cooler times of the year.

Was fortunate enough to be one of the people on the Wilderness Trekking Course BPL offered using the Shangri-la 6 & 8 person versions, impressed all and made the most sense in a group setting, not sure of any other company that offers a eight person shelter weighing in around seven pounds.

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

"Was fortunate enough to be one of the people on the Wilderness Trekking Course BPL offered using the Shangri-la 6 & 8 person versions"

Any pics of those James?

Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

I agree with florigen regarding the size of the shelters. I have been looking for a larger family-size (i.e. 5 people) shelter for backpacking and there really isn't much out there for anything bigger than 4 people with full bug protection. There are tipis, but I want something with a floor and bug netting for the sake of my wife and kids. The Shangri-la 6+ looks to be perfect in that regard.

Also, I was curious if it is possible to use the Shagri-la 4 bug nest under the Shangri-la 6 shelter. From specs I have read, it looks like it might be possible. This would be really cool because then you could have a tent with full bug protection AND a vestibule.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Steve O, go here and scroll thru:
    http://www.ryanjordan.com/photos/wt3fall07/
    pictured is the eight person version that was an enormous shelter.

Damien,
    Think you have a solid plan.
    Group I was in used the 6 person version, thinking your idea to put a 4 person nest type of shelter would be fine, might want to contact Golite to confirm.

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Thanks for the link James, cool pics!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Golite Shangri-La 6/8

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Golite has published several different weights of the Shangri-La 3:

My scale(Golite spec provided with shelter)[listed on web]

Shelter w/ sac: 25oz(29oz)[23oz]
    Pole: 13oz(15oz)[13oz]
    Stakes w/ sac: 3.25oz(3oz)[3oz]

So by eliminating the pole with a 2oz trekking pole extender, the total weight will be 30.25oz.

Bruce .

@3pinner

Steve O,
    Thanks for posting the pics. You may have solved my winter tent dilemma, but I have a couple of questions:
    Would you cook inside this shelter in really nasty weather?
    Is there a vestibule like space to allow using a stove?
    How likely would rain/snow enter through the door when opening it?
    did you get the floor or nest for it? That is something I would really consider, I hike & camp in some really wet territory, and would like a floor of some kind.

Ive been looking for something with a vestibule, and keep circling back to the Hilleberg Akto, but I'd really like to have the space in that puppy, especially for the weight!

Thanks!

charlie babbage

@babbage

I looked at the MSR twin peaks, but went with the Sierra Designs Oragami 2 UL. I like the versatility of the design and the pitching options are not structured. I am glad that I did not miss a sale and wait for the New Golite line of shelters– not impressed this time. Althoug I am pleased with all the Golite gear that I have.

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

"Would you cook inside this shelter in really nasty weather?"
    —I haven't yet but yes, with two concerns: condensation and CO gas.
    "Is there a vestibule like space to allow using a stove?"
    —Not per se, but some say you can stake the door end higher to create one. Maybe more experienced users can speak on that?
    "How likely would rain/snow enter through the door when opening it?"
    —The area near the door will be exposed when the door is unzipped. IMO, this isn't a problem without a floor.
    "did you get the floor or nest for it?"
    —No, for now I am using an emergency blanket. I'll buy some 3mil plastic soon.

Bruce:
    Ryan Jordan points out that cold weather condensation can lead to problems with frost/ice in his Hex 3 review. He advocates using EPIC fabric to minimize frost-rain/spindrift. Since you mentioned that you want a "winter" tent, maybe you will want to consider this (esp if you do longer trips).

Can any experienced Hex (or other tipi) users comment on frost issues? Have you had problems packing an icy tipi? Frost-rain/spindrift?

I took the Shangri-la out on Dec 30th:
    Conditions: 20 deg(F) low, ~95% RH, ~no wind, 3 inches snow.
    The majority of the floor edge vents were buried with snow when I woke up, obviously impeding ventilation. There was mucho condensation (with 2 adults) in the morning, but it ran right down the steep walls. I kept dry with no problems. No retensioning was needed either.

I really like this thing, but I'm not sold yet. I still have almost 2 months to return it and plan on using it a few more times before I decide.

More Shangri-la pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/22273602@N06/

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Can any experienced Hex (or other tipi) users comment on frost issues? Have you had problems packing an icy tipi? Frost-rain/spindrift?

Sure!
    It does get frosty inside, beauty of the Hex is it's steep walls and have rarely had an issue with moisture making contact with sleeping bag from condensation. Only exception would be a severe wind in the a.m. causing an interior snow storm on a rare occasion. Have had issues with heavy nighttime snow fall where the walls have been weighted down by new snow fall touching sleeping bag and wetting out the bag's shell, that would be something to keep in mind before retiring for the night.

As far as having an icy build up on the fabric, that would be a no, slick Silnylon surface allows for any moisture to easily be shaken off before packing.

Cooking inside
    I don't know if I should be writing some type of disclaimer before posting this but "Yes" cooking is something that I have done quite often. Keeping this in mind will do one of two things.
    1. make sure that there is some space between the Hex and ground allowing airflow inside.
    2. If Hex is being sealed off with snow around the perimeter will make sure the door has an opening at the bottom allowing airflow.
    All cooking has been done with canister stoves, with very little flare up, one thing I would be concerned with is the flame getting to close to the wall of the shelter. Always use stove near the base of center pole.

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

Doug, those two shelters are similar to the MLD SuperFly shelter.

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Bruce:
    Thanks for sparking this interesting conversation. There are many conflicting opinions within different threads on the idea of mids and tipis as winter shelters (just do a forum search for mid, tipi, hex, etc). We are probably long overdue to move this to another thread (I'll leave that to you) but I thought you might be interested in this MYOG vestibule thread. I wonder if anyone has actually attemped this?

Ryan Stoughton
    BPL Member

@txtengu

Locale: Seattle

In case anyon's interested, the Golite website has finally been updated to include the new line.

Ryan

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Locale: GSM Area

Took long enough. If I were a manufactuer I would update my site with a coming soon and then move them to available. I have alot of golite stuff, but I quit going to their website long ago because this site and dealers knew more on the new product line.

Tommy

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

>>In fact, some of the weights look way off.

I would agree, David. Take the Utopia 1. Golite lists it at 20 oz. My Golite SilLite poncho/tarp weighs 10.6 oz. So for another 9.4 oz. you get more fabric, a zipper, and two long poles? It doesn't seem to add up.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools