Topic

Dogs on a Long Hike?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Craddock

@pcraddock

So, I have this really amazing dog, super cool, super mellow, loves to hike, etc. Is it all reasonable to try to hike the PCT with her? So, before you even tell me no, my counter is that dogs are built for hiking, that in the history of man they've hiked cross country a billion times, that if I train her like I train myself it will help, and that if I start early, go slow and steady, and let her adjust, that all will be okay!!!! ??? Anyway, she's rad, and I'd hate to not give it a shot. Plus, if all else fails, which probably will happen, I can send her home. At least we tried.. . . . .

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Dogs are not allowed on much of the PCT.

Charles Bilz

@denalijoe

Locale: California

Patrick,

Take your dog whenever you can on a long hike. They make the best hiking partners. I have had my own dog on the PCT and have never been told he could not be out there with me. Just be mind full of the other hikers you might encounter on the trail and practice good etiquette by leashing your dog.

Charles

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

I know for sure that Sequoia National Park does not allow dogs in the backcountry. Sequoia National Forest and Inyo National Forest does though. You could be asked to leave Sequoia National Park if caught with a dog and I believe Kings Canyon abide by the same rules and would not be surprised if same for Yosemite National Park.

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska

I've seen several dogs on the southern portion of the PCT. It can be hot out there, so be prepared. My experience has been that small dogs that love to walk can do OK if you are careful. Larger dogs tend to suffer more from heat and all day walking. I saw several owners struggling with large dogs on long hikes and all eventually sent them home.

Dogs are OK for the first 700 miles, but are restricted in the Sierra. There are fewer restrictions north of Lake Tahoe.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools