Topic

Preshrinking Fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Preshrinking Fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Hi Guys-

So, in my efforts to improve my sewing and have my MYOG projects not look so much like they were hand sewn by a chimpanzee, I just read "Sewing for Dummies" to learn some new tips.

One of the things they suggest is to pre-wash and press your fabric and trim before sewing to reduce puckering of the finished project.

Have any of you tried this? Is it worth it?

Cheers,

-Mike

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Mike,

I pre-wash all my silk and merino before sewing with it. It is also important to pre-wash silk before dying it. I add the silk wet to my dye pot. I press (iron) the silk after washing or dying it as it is much easier to work with.

Other material like Pertex products and Cuben are not pre-washed.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Other material like Cuben are not pre-washed.
    Ah, Bill, you disappoint me! I was hoping to hear how you pre-washed all your Cuben fabric … :-)

And strangely, I have found that pre-washing silnylon is not a lot of use either – and the same goes for the Dim Poly X-Pac fabrics too.

Mike – the pre-wash thing really only applies to fabrics made from natural fibers. Synthetic fabrics rarely undergo any changes from washing at all.

Cheers

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Thanks, Guys! Now I won't have to explain to my wife why there is 10 yards of silnylon drying in the laundry room. ;-)

-Mike

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools