Topic

Swim Crossing techniques/clothing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Swim Crossing techniques/clothing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

I still haven't decided on Merino Wool. I haven't owned any yet except in sox. My 1989 Army issue wool hat is my favorite fall back when it gets really cold. Plus I am darn close to bald and shave my head so I need a little extra warmth. Plus I can pick them up for the rest of the family used for $3 from Army surplus.

The other three seasons I do use a Wigwam Beanie that is a two layer synthetic and wicks moisture from the head pretty well. It is my favorite night time cap.

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

Best/fastest way to cross water for me is to hold pack by haul loop and do a survival or rescue side stroke. Can move real quick like this and have a lot of power still, the pack falls into your wake and drags/floats easy behind.
    Change sides at 20 strokes or when ya feel the need.
    I don't like the feeling of swimming with a pack on my back, well nothing bigger than a camelbak, it slows you down and feels clumsy.
    Dragging the pack also makes entry and exit easier in most cases.
    Clothing – Any clothing not intended for aquatic pastimes will drag and hinder you. The thermal benefits of land clothing 'whilst actually swimming and moving' would be questionable due to pumping. This effect is even noticable in wetsuits. Get nude.
    A mate reckons that tevas provide swimming help, AKA small flippers, but my experience is the opposite. He has bigger feet maybe that counts, or it could be differing kicking styles. Try it and see what works for you.

Cold water – I'm not sure about the holding breath thing as far as cardiac shock and blood pressure goes(physiologists..?).
    The worst bit for me is when the water gets to groin level….
    From this point to fully submerged its usually one long breath out. Sort of sounds like "FFF…………….K" Followed by a few religious sounding breaths – then focus on the job of swimming and get it finished.
    Get psyched and warm before entering water, helps avoid cramping. Jumping squats or fighting to see who goes first usually does the trick.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

It seems to me that this stream crossing thread is a good example of fascinating and informative reading that cannot possibly convey the real-life experience to the uninitiate. So, I would like to suggest that this might be an excellent topic for one of the planned wilderness techniques courses. For those of us who have rarely been off established trails with bridges, stream crossings can create a significant safety barrier, and this seems to be the sort of thing best learned in real life from folks who know what they are doing. Since these courses are apparently currently in the planning stages, I hope this is an appropriate place to make this suggestion.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools