Topic

Kids Down Sleeping bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Kids Down Sleeping bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Scott Van Doeselaar
    BPL Member

@vandoe

Locale: Southern CA

Since nobody makes a decent light weight down bag for kids I decided to make my own. I patterned these bags after the WM Summerlite using Thru-hiker materials. Seems like the momentum 90 must be slightly heavier than the material WM is using. These bags weigh 21 oz with 12 oz of fill. I think I over did it on the fill. The bags should easily make it down to my target 20 deg C. If anyone is trying to make their own sleeping bag I can give you tips on the sewing sequence. The baffles are two inches.Kids down sleeping bag

David Gilbert

@david0815

They look really impressive. Congratulations, really good job.

Casey Cardwell
    BPL Member

@niles

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon

Really excellent job! I'd definitely be interested in your pattern and tips if you feel like sharing!

Nice Job!

Scott Van Doeselaar
    BPL Member

@vandoe

I would be happy to share some tips. I am not sure how to transfer the pattern, possibly by mail. You are welcome to send me an email if you want more information.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

I have a pattern with photos that was at one time posted at thru-hiker by the author (Maurer, 2005). He kindly sent them to me so they are sitting in my inbox. Using the pattern I made a bag that weighs just over 2 lbs. that has gotten me down to zero (with clothes and a bivy). The first step in his bag is to make the hood from the pattern for attaching a hood to a sleeping bag that is still available at thru-hiker.
    If you would like me to froward the directions, E-mail me : [email protected]
    BTW Ed Speer at hammockcamping.com sells 900 weight down at around $26 for a 3.1 oz. bag. He adds the .1 to cover your spillage!

Casey Cardwell
    BPL Member

@niles

Locale: On the Dirt in Oregon

I've never made anything with down. How do you know how much you will need for a particular project?

Scott Van Doeselaar
    BPL Member

@vandoe

I based it off other bags. I compared two different full size WM bags for comparison at the temperature rating I was looking for. I also got the baffle dimension by measuring these bags. You can also use information from various posts to get baffle dimension. There is a table that Thru-hiker provided in a post. Then I guessed a little for the smaller bag size. You can also calculate the volume of your bag once you have picked the desired loft and baffle size and then use the fill power e.g. 800 fill power. 1 oz. fills 800 cu. in. I went conservative and probably slightly overfilled for the baffle size I chose. You can tell the down is being constrained because my individual baffles look a bit like a stuffed sausage. I think ideally I should have had slightly wider baffles or slightly less fill

Drew Davis
    BPL Member

@drewnc2005

Locale: Denver, CO

Momentum usually isn't that shiny, is it? Mine was on the calendared side but not on the side that is supposed to face "outwards."

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

The shiny side is supposed to be on the inside.

Scott Van Doeselaar
    BPL Member

@vandoe

I put the shiny side on the outside. I guess I will find out if it really makes a difference. My guess is it won't matter. I have not seen any evidence of down coming through. I did it this way because the WM bag I was using as a model has a very shiny outside surface that looks calendared.

Michael Barber
    Spectator

@barber5

Locale: Southeast US

I would like to be able to make one but I think I am far from it. What would one of those cost to have made by an able handed craftsman? Is anyone able to make a small backpack?

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Wow! Truly impressed. I have a 2 year old son who I would consider making a bag for next year. Care to share where you got your inspiration or pattern?

Scott Van Doeselaar
    BPL Member

@vandoe

I used the western mountaineering summerlite as my model. I then created a pattern from that. Proper sequence of sewing was done by studying the seams on WM bag and then trial and error from there on cheap walmart material for practice. I have since made up a rudimentary set of instructions I can send. Just send me a PM if you want these instructions.

Erin montez

@erinmac

I would love the plans for the kids down sleeping bag. I've been searching everywhere and can't find one. I can sew and would love to do it myself. thanks
    Erin

Mireille Halley
    BPL Member

@tinyscrafts

Locale: So Cal

I'm impressed. I bought the WM Tamarack for myself, but it'd work for a kid. Pricey though. I'm still considering what to get/make for my kiddos.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Scott

340 g down in a kid's size SB? That should get the kid down to near 0 C with thermals on, imho!

Cheers

Scott Van Doeselaar
    BPL Member

@vandoe

Roger,

I think you are probably right. I definitely overshot. I was targeting more like 15 to 20 but and a bag weight of 1 lb. but it being my first time working with down I was being conservative. My scale precision could have been better also for this job.

Mireille Halley
    BPL Member

@tinyscrafts

Locale: So Cal

Do you mind sharing your total cost per bag on those, if ya know it?

Scott Van Doeselaar
    BPL Member

@vandoe

Mireille,

I think I was probably right around $450 total for the materials for both sleeping bags. I guess this project was not a real money saver. You probably can't beat the price of the tamarack by much. Although if you copied the tamarack it would be quite a bit easier without the hood.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools