Topic

Solo alpine gear list 2008

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Solo alpine gear list 2008

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jozef _____

@derjosef

Locale: The southern border of Holland

Hello BPL guys,

I thought it was time to get my gear list up, put together for my journeys in 2008. As a first time poster it may be clear that I've only begun reading up on this matter and so far BPL has given me insight in things I wouldn't have come up myself.

I've always been weighing my stuff out of curiosity but it never was crucial to get the numbers as low as possible. But now I'm more into solo-ing these days, and I suffered a knee injury 2 years ago. I want to get lighter and lighter.

The list is intended for a solo trek across the central European Alps (north to south, in this case Germany to Italy). I've estimated it will probably take me 12 to 15 days, and I've planned to attempt it without any kind of re-supply. The terrain will be varying from foothills to 10.000 feet mountain terrain, but most of the walking will be in the 8200 feet zone. I'm expecting snow on that height and up. Last year I carried snow shoes for this but although they had some use, I would've been better of with crampons since the temperatures were still too low. My new strategy will be getting up late, letting the high snow melt so it will be possible to make steps in key snow fields and crossing them in relative safety.

The Berghaus of course is seriously over weighted, and should be replaced. But it carries very comfy and is heighly dureable. I chose to have two matresses, as the cellfoam doesn't mind rough use and rocky campsites. The Eureka tent is there because of it's weight and free-standing design. Sometimes I just can't be bothered with stakes and lines, or it's just not an option. Might be replaceable, but most alternatives are a lot more expensive and bivy's are not my cup of tea. Half of the trip I will stay in cabins along the way. The Snugpak is in there, because it will hold up below freezing and doesn't mind to get wet much. It has a nice price / warmth / weight ratio.

What do you think? (list is in profile)

cheers, nice site!
    J

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

It looks like alot of people have over looked this post but it looks pretty interesting. You seem to be carrying alot of weight, there are a couple similar journeys that have been taken by BPL members. Roger Caffin did an alps trek with a gear list, and a very friendly and knowledgeable member, Miguel Arboleda who posted his list here:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/8876/index.html?skip_to_post=63658#63658

You may want to opt for some more breathable clothes, I've heard a lot about the unbreathability of windstopper fleece and hard shells, but clothing is obviously very individual

I think I'll end up repeating my self but the two links I've sent are the "cutting edge" if you will of light weight Alps trips. I think that the ideas they bring are great but will be the first to agree that they are expensive!

oh and here is the Roger Caffin Trip
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

take care and speak up!
    Jon

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Sounds like you have some fun in front of you.

I would toss the Thermarest or get a lighter foam pad something like the Gossamer Gear Thinlight, save you 4 to 8 ounces. The wind proof fleeces are nice when sitting still but the lack of breathability will be bad when moving. I would swap it out for a Patagonia R2 type fleece, probably about 4 ounces lighter and a lot more breathable. And if it is so cold even when you are moving wear your Regatta over the top.

The weight of your pack is the killer part. eBay has old Jams sometimes, or any of the Dyneema packs would work. I have a Cold Cold World pack made for me out of Dyneema at a little over 2 1/2 pounds, at around 3000 cubic inches. You could easily save 3 pounds there.

Ponchos are nice but when moving over Class 3 terrain, typically average of what I like, I want to be able to see my feet, and do not want to be moving wind blown fabric from cutting down on my vision.

In summertime I will wear my Patagonia Jackalope pants, silkweight longsleeve, R2 fleece, Houdini, and if it gets really bad on goes my Spraymaster.

I agree with you about the free standing tent. I have been in some storms where the thought of a tarp scares me, but that may be my lack of experience with them.

I also carry 2 1 liter Platypus bottles and a 2 liter Platypus. I would be nervous if I only had one water source. You may want to consider some sort of backup water bottle. The altitude usually hits me hard so I drink like a fish. I will start out with 4 liters and have the first 2 liters down in an hour to get a good level of hydration going. I will carry a minimum of 2 mini Bic lighters maybe even 3.

I have had good luck with a soft shell glove, particularly the OR Vert glove, Schoeller with leather palms. While the gloves may not be as warm as fleece glove, in the wind or putting your hands on rock they will be more durable and weatherproof.

I would toss the long underwear top and wear the Craft shirt to bed, if that what the thermals are for, a few more ounces there.

I don't take a ski mask in the summer. If the wind is blowing hard enough, or cold enough, I will bury my face in my shell jacket or you could use the long underwear bottoms or something like that.

Jozef _____

@derjosef

Locale: The southern border of Holland

Hey you guys thanks for the feedback, nice links and good reading!

@Jonathan
    :
    You are definately right about the breathability of the windstopper, some of the time it behaves like a sheet of plastic around your body. When temps are up it stays in the pack, with decreasing temps while walking, I wear it on top of my Craft shirt. This works for me, still allowing enough breathing.

@Christopher
    :
    That Gossamer pad looks mighty uncomfortable to me :-) I choose my two pads for durability, thickness and insulation. It may be clear this is pretty low-budget. My sister carries a nicer, lighter, and more expensive down-insulated pad. I think this would be my only preferable alternative to my current pads.

The pack has emotional value, but I totally agree on you this is my major weight-killer. It will go next season. As for the camelback, you have a good point. I actually forgot about the extra bottle I carry. THis is what I call my "cooking" water. It's just a one litre PET bottle (CocaCola or something), and can act as reserve supply as well. So that's an extra kilo.

The thermals to bed are there so that I have some clean clothes to bed and extra warmth. THe daily worn Craft fibre shirt smells after one day of use, so I don't stink up all of my bag. But I agree it's more of a comfort choice then anything else, so might be worth to exclude.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I added my Winter Gear list. Mostly for low angle climbing/mountaineering in the Winter conditions of the lower 48.

With all my clothing I should be comfortable to well below 0F.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools