Topic

Winter Camping with my Dog?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Winter Camping with my Dog?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David R.
    BPL Member

@orbitald

I'm heading out tomorrow to Emigrant Wilderness to find some cold air. The ranger at Summit Station said they had a light dusting of snow at the station but probably a little more (maybe 4"-8") in the wilderness so I'm not quite sure what to expect but don't have any great distance goals. Temperatures are supposed to be in the low 40*F during the day and low 20*F at night and with out any rain/snow Thurs-Sat but maybe something blowing in Sunday afternoon so we plan on being out by then. My question: Are these conditions OK for my dog? We think she is mostly a Kelpie (originally from Kauai HI) 47lbs and does not have a thick undercoat like many dogs do but she loves to backpack with me and she is great to have along when going solo. I guess I'm a little worried about her paws getting too cold on the snow but imagine she should be fine during the day as long as we are moving. For her sleeping setup I'm bring a GG torso pad and a Uniqlo ultralight down coat but maybe I should bring something more? I have some dog booties – is that something I should bring?Nati

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I'm don't have a dog but I did spend a week dog sledding in the Yukon a number of years ago. Our guide explained (as I put booties on all 16 of my dogs) that the reason for the booties was not for the cold but to keep the snow from compacting between the pads on their feet. If you're in snow and temperatures are in the 40's then it will probably pack really well and might present the issue described above. I still have a couple of booties as mementos of my trip. They're pretty light…Pack them along just in case and check the paws regularly.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

I honestly think you'll be ok. Cold and wet has the same effects on a dog as a person though I suspect dogs are much tougher than we are in general. The pad and quilt should be fine. I really believe the dog would be ok without boots for the distance your traveling. Boots are something a dog needs to get used to.

Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

Should be good. You can trim the fur between the pads. When ice forms, bite it off with your teeth, then rub vigorously to dry before the wet paw touches snow. Having a tent to keep the dog stationary under covers is good. Have fun! They’re tough and will let you know if you watch carefully when they’re not having fun, as I’m sure you know.

Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

Locale: Canada

David – would love to hear how the trip went since I am thinking of doing some winter camping with my dog as well.

Any wisdom you acquired to share with the group?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools