Topic

Canon A vs. SD series

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Canon A vs. SD series

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Joe Westing

@pedro87

I am currently in the market for a new compact digicam. After much research, I have narrowed down my choices to either the Canon A series (probably the A720) or the SD series (SD850). I like the SD850 for its light weight, but I like that the A720 runs on AA batteries, has more manual controls, is cheaper, and has 6x zoom. I had originally wanted AA batteries, so I could bring spares into the field. However, I am now thinking that for long hikes I could just buy spare proprietary lithium-ion batteries. This would be a more expensive, but lighter solution. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I am open to other cameras other than the ones I mentioned.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I have an A520. I've never used any of the SD series but I definitely like that mine uses AA batteries. Its easy to just throw a new pair in the pack instead of making sure you charged the other batteries before you left. I don't really know much about/do any serious photography but I do like being able to play around with all the different manual settings. I don't really know what I'm doing with most of them, I just adjust and play until the pictures comes out the way I like. The SD is lighter though (according to the specs at Newegg), my A520 weight a hair over 8 oz with batteries and SD card. It is one tough little dude, which has been important for me. Its been to the Boundary Waters canoeing for a week and on almost all of my backpacking trips for the past 2 years. Not to mention various parties and travels. So far it has held up very well, its got some scrapes and scuffs, and some of the printing on it was smeared by an encounter with a DEET soaked hand. The only thing functionally odd after all its use is the lens cover sometimes doesn't quite open all the way. All you have to do is give it a little bump and it finishes opening, more than anything its just a little quirk that requires an additional thought before you go snapping pictures. This probably only happens once in every 15 or 20 uses though.
    Overall I'm extremely pleased with my Canon A series. I would definitely recommend them.

Adam

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools