Topic

Lightest Hammock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest Hammock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

I have been thinking about getting a hammock for longer than I have been UL backpacking. I now, however, have a new criteria. It needs to be light. With that in mind, what are some good hammock options. And, is there any chance of getting a hammock as light as some of the SUL shelters (i.e. cuban fiber tents)?

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

I've been looking at some hammocks, is the 1lb 15oz hennesey model pretty light or can I do better?

Heather Pisani-Kristl

@p-k

Locale: San Diego

Hi Kyle,
    Here's a BPL thread on Bill Fornshell's cuben hammock:
    http://tinyurl.com/2wdunh.

Hammock weight has so many variables: rigging, bug protection, insulation, tarp, and the hammock itself. You could get pretty light with a Speer-type hammock (top-entry), cc foam pad and poncho-tarp, but this depends on your need for bug netting and warmth. Take a look at hammockforums.net and Just Jeff's site at http://www.tothewoods.net. Lots of nice folks over there (some, but not all, are even concerned about weight!).

douglas girling
    BPL Member

@dgirling

Locale: Adirondacks

Hi Kyle

Hennesey make an even lighter model called the Adventure Racer. The complete weight (hammock, bug screen, and tarp) is around 16oz. I use this model and love it. I don't know your weight / size, that may be a limiting factor. I'm 170 lbs 5'10" and fit with plenty room to spare. My 200 lb brother also used this briefly without any problems.
    I think it would be hard to get lighter than this, unless you started cutting back on features.

cheers

doug

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Doug,

I also saw that model, however I am 6'1" and that model is rated for someone who is 5'10". Are you saying that you think this model would work for someone who is taller than 5'10"?

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Kyle,

The HHAR is too short for you at 6-1….you might get in it but you would not get very flat in the asym sweet spot… Take a good look at the HHELR… same size as the HHHL but lighter….Even that may be short for you… believe it says 6-0 for the HHELR

Pan

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Heather's link didn't work for me so I am re-posting
    My Cuben Hammock Thread

I have been told that it is to small, well I am not that big and it is fine for me. I am 6 foot tall and my weight range is from 150 to 155 pounds.

It is made to be as light as I could make it and still be more or less comfortable. It works well in both areas.

douglas girling
    BPL Member

@dgirling

Locale: Adirondacks

Kyle

You would fit in an adventure racer, but, as Jack pointed out, one of the features of the AR is it's asymetric shape that allows one to lie reasonably flat at an angle in the hammock. Your height would mean you would have to sleep more longitudinally in the hammock and less at an angle. So your height would technically "compromise" your position. I don't know if weight would be an issue for you. I can only speak from my experience I'm 5'10" and the AR is super comfortable (caveat, I sleep mostly on my side with knees bent) but it's still really comfortable when relaxing on my back. I'm sure HH wouldn't have a problem if you tried one (inside) and returned it if it didn't work out. Happy hunting.

doug

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

Hennessey Hyperlite – I love it!!!

Jaiden .

@jaiden

First, check out hammockforums.net

Then specifically, note the super cool DIY "bridgeskin" http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2479

I want one.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Wow… that bridgeskin is crazy cool…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools