Topic

Mid/High Wide Winter Shoes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mid/High Wide Winter Shoes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    NNN BBB
    Spectator

@woody81

Hi, I have read some threads about it but most of them were from 2010~ and also I cannot get most of the shoes because they are not sold here (I'm outside of the US and I don't like to order shoes without trying them on). Until now I had these: http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Merrell-Chameleon4-Mid-Waterproof/dp/B0056BNA5A (I was thinking about ordering the same shoes, but these are old model from around 2011-2012 and I'm afraid that the glue will tear off real soon..) They were really good. I had lost them during a flight (they searched my bag and after the flight 1 shoe was gone..). In my country I can find: asolo, garmont, keen, merrel, raichle, mammut, gaspo, merrel, lytos, meindl, salomon, trezeta, vasque, zamberlan, regatta and salomon shoes. I'm looking for a new leather *wide* shoes. My shoe width is 11cm or 4.3inch . When doing sport my feet are usually 2EE width. I will be good with high / mid boots. I thought about low shoes but these are not acceptable because of desert terrain and because I usually go on expedition trips (7+ days without supplies) and need 0 chance of ankle failures. I would really appreciate any suggestion for shoes of the brands above. Thank you very much for your time & help!!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If you have wide feet, go with Keen. Keens are wide fitting in their standard width and their "wide" widths are very wide. Salamons are great but not way they will fit your feet. Vasques probably won't either. Merrel in size wide could work for you but I wouldn't put much trust into a wateproof Merrel. When you say wide do you mean wide toes? Or wide all around? Are your heels narrow?

NNN BBB
    Spectator

@woody81

There are any leather keens? Actually I was very satisfied with merrel waterproof. the shoes held a trip of 400km (in 1 month), most of the time in snow and rain conditions. They were wet sometimes, but most of the time I was the only one with dry shoes. My toe box is 11cm wide. The rest of the foot is normal size (heels are narrow). Thank you. EDIT: I tried to find keens here, and I only find keen revel and keen targhee :(

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I believe the Keen Revel is all leather. I use the Keen Targhees for winter, sloppy snow conditions.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Have you tried on the keens? Keens can be very wide in the heels, lots of slippage for some people. What's wrong with the targhee? It's a leather waterproof boot.

NNN BBB
    Spectator

@woody81

I'm looking for something that will be my boots for the next couple of years. The targhee don't has lots of stitches and I think that they won't be waterproof real quick if those stitches will be torn. I'm hiking in the desert and such stitches were torn a lot.. What I liked about the merrel is that they had only one stitch on the leather. I'm going to try the targhee next week (Monday I think), I will tell you my opinion afterwards. I would want to avoid the goretex membranes and membranes at all.. any suggestion for wide leather boots without membrane?

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

Lowa makes the Renegade and Trekker Wide LL (leatherlined) that may be what you are looking for.

NNN BBB
    Spectator

@woody81

these lowa are looking good but i cannot find them here and I'm afraid of buying them online without trying them on.. I also could not find online the wide size.. other suggestions?

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

Here are the wide ones online… https://www.campmor.com/c/lowa-renegade-ll-mid-light-hiking-boots-wide-width—mens They are made in Germany I believe, so they should be available in Europe somewhere.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I am confused by your references to the desert and to winter snowy conditions? Which is it?

NNN BBB
    Spectator

@woody81

Israel. Most of the time i'm hiking in the desert, but usually when I go to hike abroad it's snowy (*stans, armenia, romania, europe in general, etc). I wish we had snow in Israel

NNN BBB
    Spectator

@woody81

Eventually I ended up visiting Italy. I came across decathlon and I found Lowa shoes. I tried them and they were good. but they didn't had the wide version on stock. So eventually I ended up buying a quecha mid goretex boots. I'm waiting for some online deal on the Lowa LL wide and I will buy them :) I bought the queche only because it was 15euros. Thank you!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools