Topic

JMT 2008 Gearlist (Aug-Sep)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT 2008 Gearlist (Aug-Sep)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Locale: PNW

You can view the gearlist in my profile, or click below. I'm trying to decide on a few more items, and lighten a few others. Any and all feedback is highly welcome! Thanks in advance. Also, if there is a better/easier way to display my gearlist, please let me know.

JMT 2008 Gearlist

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

No one cares to chime in? I'll try to add the list to the posting for easier viewing:

Basic Items Ounces Replacement
    Backpack 48 GG Nimbus Ozone ULA Circuit
    Rain Cover 2.9 GG
    Tent 26 SMD Lunar Solo
    Sleeping bag/Quilt 16 Marmot Atom JRB No Sniveler
    Sleeping pad 14 Thermarest Prolite Short BMW Torsolite
    Pillow 4 Thermarest stuff sack Flexair / Platy
    Stuff sacks 6 3 ea. Silnylon Cuben sacks
    Basic Total (lbs) 7.30625

Cook Items Ounces
    Stove 5 Brunton Crux SP Giga / F1
    Cook Pot 6 Primus kettle MSR Titan
    Cleaning items 0.6 CampSuds in dropper
    Spoon 0.4 Titanium Spork BPL Ti Spoon
    Cook Items Tote Bag 1 Mesh
    Lighter 0.5 Mini Bic
    Bear proof container 28 ??? Ursack / Bearikade
    Cozy 0 ??? FBC / Trail Designs
    Cook Total (lbs) 2.59375

Personal Ounces
    First Aid Kit 6 AM Ultralight + Tylenol PM
    Headlamp 6 PrincetonTec Aurora Petzl E-Lite
    Water Filtration 3 Micropur tabs
    Toiletries 8 Toothbrush, Contacts, Glasses LASIK
    Trowel+TP 6 Montbell +Wet Wipes Cut shop towels
    Body Soap 2 Dr. Bronners Soap
    Multitool 6 Leatherman Micra
    Sanitizer 4 Purell
    Camera+case 6.2 Canon SD750 in bubblesack
    Tripod 4 Ultrapod 2 (modified)
    Sunscreen 2 Dermatone
    Bug Repellent 2 100% Deet in mini dropper
    Emergency Kit 1 Waterproof matches + dryer lint BPL Firesteel mini
    Platy Bottles 8 2x1L
    Trekking Poles 12 BD Contour Flicklock GG Lighttrek 3
    Lanyard w/Compass 4 Worn on neck Paracord bracelet
    Personal Total (lbs) 5.0125

Clothing Ounces
    Shirt 3.1 Nike synth running shirt
    Running Shorts 3.5 Nike synth running shorts w/liner
    Socks + Underwear 2 Smartwool Adrenaline qtr (2) DTV / DeFeet
    Shoes + gaiters 10 Solomon XA Pro 3D +levagaiters Hardrocks
    Rain Jacket 8 Marmot Precip TNF Diad
    Insulation Jacket 14 MHW Windstopper Fleece Montbell Down
    Gloves 3 Marmot Fleece BD Powerstretch
    Stocking Hat 1.7 MHW Fleece Beanie Possumdown
    Bottom Base Layer 4 Duofold lightweight poly Patagonia Wool
    Upper Base Layer 5 Patagonia capilene L/S Patagonia Wool
    Bandanas 2.3 Generic (2) Buff
    Rain Pants 6 Marmot Precip ULA rain wrap
    Wind Shirt 6 Solomon Fast&Light II Patagonia Houdini
    Wind Pants 0 ??? Monbell / Golite
    Hat 4 Marmot Visor Headsweats Pro
    Clothing Total (lbs) 4.5375

Consumables Ounces
    Fuel 10 Isobutane for 15 meals
    Water 56
    Food (28 oz per day) 56 Freezer Bag Meals + Dark Chocolate Bars + Clif Bars
    Consumables Total 7.625

Total (lbs) 19.45
    Total + Consumables (lbs) 27.075

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Great list. Just a few random thoughts here (mostly subjective and nothing earth shattering):

1. Hygiene – You've got wet wipes, purell and soap — and I suspect you have antibacterial wipes in your AM first aid kit as well. For me, I use purell to sanitize my hands (esp. after finishing my business) and anti-bacterial wipes for full wipe down before going to bed. I really think this is why I don't have problems with stinking up my poly tees — even after 5 straight days of wear. If this works for you, then ditch the soap.

2. Consider adding a bottle cap pre filter — much easier and quicker to use than filtering through a bandana.

3. Sleep wear — going from poly to wool adds weight and increases drying time (sleeping bag and clothes accumulate body moisture even if not enough to be felt) — consider switching to lightweight silk tops and bottoms instead — they are just half the weight of poly.

4. For me, I don't see the need for bringing BOTH rain and wind jackets. On multiple-day hikes, I prefer the full protection of rain jacket and I let it do double duty as wind breaker. Thus, pick one that is highly breathable. For 3-season, single-day hikes where the trailhead is never all that far away, I just take my wind jacket instead.

5. Again for me, I haven't found the need for wind pants for 3-season use. YMMV.

I'm thinking that once your replace your fleece with MontBell down, etc. — you may well be able to swap for a smaller, lighter backpack without any sacrifice in comfort.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Your current subtotals are:

1. Everything except consumables
    2. Consumables
    3. Grand Total (1 + 2)

You may wish to modify slightly to align with general convention so you can compare across the board with other hikers more easily:

1. Base weight — everything in your pack or hanging off it — except for consumables.

2. Consumables

3. Total pack weight (1 + 2)

4. Items worn (clothes, items stored in pockets, hat, socks, shoes, watch, hiking poles, etc.)

5. Grand Total or Skin-Out Weight (3 + 4)

Hope this helps.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The silk will also increase the drying time.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Not necessarily. While by nature, most poly's dry quicker than silk and wool, my 8 oz. silk top and bottom sleepwear are so thin and light I actually think they dry just about as fast as the 16 oz., thicker poly top and bottom that I replaced. I think I will wash both sometime today and do a comparison.

In contrast, wool tops and bottoms are not made as thin and light — and will truly take longer to dry as compared to similar poly's.

EDIT: I re-read OP's list — his poly tops and bottoms are already very light weight (unlike my old poly's) — so switching to silk will not provide much more weight savings. If weight and quick-dry properties are critical, I suggest he stick to his poly's. But if "funk factor" is an even bigger issue, then wool might be more suitable.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> 1. Hygiene – You've got wet wipes, purell and soap — and I suspect you have antibacterial wipes in your AM first aid kit as well. For me, I use purell to sanitize my hands (esp. after finishing my business) and anti-bacterial wipes for full wipe down before going to bed. I really think this is why I don't have problems with stinking up my poly tees — even after 5 straight days of wear. If this works for you, then ditch the soap.

This is a very strange concept. Here in Australia we carry a very small bit of soap, and nothing else. The whole idea of anti-bacterial wipes is greeted with amazement and disbelief, plus comments about insanity. I wonder how the rest of the world survives (and survived for thousands of years) without such things? Quite well, actually.

A simple hand wash is all that is needed, and quite sufficient. Too much anti-bacterial stuff is actually very damaging to your utterly-essential skin bacteria. If the idea of essential bacteria is a new concept, you need to do some serious reading on the subject. To summarise: without the normal skin bacteria occupying all niches on your skin, dangerous bacteria could get a place there and make hell with your skin. But go read up.

Cheers

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Roger:

I agree about the potential (and sometimes actual) overuse of anti-bacterial stuff. I wash with good ol' soap and water at home.

But water is scarce around where I live — and that sort of conditioned by habits. A wipe down with anti-bacterial "wet ones" is very soothing at the end of the day — and goes a very long way in helping to keep bag and clothes clean.

Obviously, one can do the same by soaping up and rinsing out — but water is by far the heaviest item when you need to carry it in.

OP's surroundings may be altogether different…

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

In general, I don't like the prepackaged first aid kits. They usually contain stuff I don't need and the kit container is heavier than necessary.

I just keep my first aid supplies (basically bandaids, a bit of moleskin, antibiotic ointment, an antiseptic wipe or two, butterfly strips, antiseptic swabs, half of an elastic wrap with a couple of needles & thread tucked inside the wrap, and a couple of gauze squares) in a plain sandwich zip-lock, which I store inside a heavier freezer bag zip-lock with a few basic medications, my survival/utility items (duct tape, small knife, extra matches/firestarter, extra batteries, extra contacts, etc.). This works very well for me. I seldom ever use first aid items, even at home, so I just need a few basics in case of catastrophe.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

I'd also just take one single dropper bottle of Dr. Bronner's and use it for both personal cleaning and kitchen use.

I prefer to use a drop or two of the soap and a bandana for washing off at night instead of wipes, which I find fairly heavy & unnecessary in most areas I backpack. Plus they become trash to pack out.

I do agree with Ben though that if water is in limited supply they can be nice.

Pam

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

I will rework the gear list to the standard format…

As far as the soap goes, yea, I'm a bit overboard. I'm thinking of using Bonners for soap and toothpaste, but haven't tried it out yet. It would be hard for me to leave the wet wipes behind, just need to think a bit more about it.

Water can be scarce in AZ, but I'm not sure about the Sierra…haven't been there yet! It seems that there is quite a few streams, lakes, rivers, etc…thoughts?

Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

I agree with the soap and water for washing up, but I really like the wipes for pooping. I can't bring myself to do the "natural TP."

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

How we differ.
    Some vent their anger and others anger their vent.

BTW I know that because I often use Margaret's way of remaining clean.
    Franco

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

I've updated the gear list to reflect the more conventional way of calculating weight. Let me know if there is something that doesn't look right!

JMT 2008 Gearlist

I have some lighter/more functional items listed on the right, does anyone see something that I missed that could be replaced with a lighter alternative?

I know an alcohol stove setup might be lighter…I actually have a SuperCat stove, but I'm not very proficient with it.

I'm planning on covering the 225 miles in roughly 14 days, maybe 15. Anything that I could drop due to the nature of the trip? I've never been to the Sierras, so I'm not exactly sure what to expect. I've been reading about the JMT non-stop, but sometimes that doesn't translate when you actually get out there. Please, feel free to add your insights/thoughts/ideas!

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

I'd be concerned about warmth. I see a 40 degree bag, a lightweight fleece and some lightweight capilene/polypro. Temperatures can drop down below freezing any time of year in the Sierras.

On the JMT in september I was a little bit cold with a marmot hydrogen, a WM flight jacket, MB inner down pants and midweight patagonia wool. Of course I do tend to sleep cold.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Here is a journal of someone who hiked the trail in the same time frame:
    http://sierrashade.com/finished_menu/Journals/jmt%20pre%20trip.html

The Golite Drimove T's and other shirts do not smell after worn several days unwashed.

I plan on using a 20 degree bag, tarp and bivy for a mid-August hike of the JMT. I find the Goilte Whisp windshirt handy lightweight clothing. Although a novice fisherman, I am considering taking a fly rod.

One indulgence for me is a small thermarest pillow/seat inside a pillow bag with a felt lining which turned inside out makes a nice soft pillow. It has a more consistent shape than just using clothing. I have made a point of not weighing it!

Chad Ellertson

@northernlights

Locale: Superior Hiking Trail

You could cut weight by bringing a closed foam pad. I cut a 3/4 standard pad, down from 7 ounces to torso sized and saved about half that weight. So your pad could save about 9.5oz. Tarp instead of the tent, or even a poncho tarp so you could ditch the rain jacket and tent. You could save a pound and a half there. Do you really need the leatherman? I just use a small pocket knife that weighs .7oz http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/198/256 It works well for most anything. Go for the Princeton Scout instead of the Aurora. Just use the Dr. Bronner's instead of Campsuds and sanitizer and toothpaste. Alcohol Stove? I have the MSR titan kettle, I like it, but I have only been out with it on 3 trips so far. It's perfect for one or two. It is spendy though.

Just some thoughts . . .

Chad

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

"I'd be concerned about warmth. I see a 40 degree bag…"

Nia-
    I agree that the Atom is way to light for this trip. I'm looking at the JRB No Sniveler, but I've never used a quilt before. I think I would be ok with a ~30 degree rated bag/quilt, as I tend to be a warm sleeper. I need to pick up a quilt and see if I can make it work for me. I'm a side sleeper, so I worry about drafts.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Frank, thanks for the link! Interesting journal there. Too bad he doesn't sell his sunshade, I'd like to try it out!

I've seen the Golite Wisp, but haven't had one out in wild. My Solomon wind shirt is pretty good, although a bit heavy by SUL standards.

If you are hiking mid-August, you'll probably be finishing up when I'm just getting started. You should leave some Geocaches for me to find =)

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Chad, thanks for the input!

I've been looking at the Gossamer Gear Nightlight Torso and Thinlight as an alternative…should weigh in around 5.5 oz. for that combo.

The leatherman is more of a security blanket than anything. I'd feel naked without it while backpacking…never need it 99% of the time for sure, something I need to consider.

Anyone have a SMD Wild Oasis? I kind of like the design, and it would definitely be lighter.

Headlamp could be lighter too, for sure. I really like the throw of the Aurora, but I've never seen the scout up close. Thanks again for the input so far.

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska

Doug –

I think the Atom would be fine on the JMT, and I'm not a warm sleeper. I've done the JMT three times, and it can get cold. But I've also had my Atom down way below freezing and been fine with some insulating layers of clothing to supplement the bag. Bring a jacket with an insulated hood, or a super light synth fill balaclava (Cocoon).

My dos pesos,
    Don

Jeffrey Snyder

@jeffsnyder

I would suggest a head net. Mine was just 1/2 an ounce and I found it very useful on the JMT. Also, how are you resupplying so that you only need to carry 3.5 lbs of food at a time? –jeff

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

In reference to the SMD Oasis, I have used the Gatewood Cape which is similar to the Oasis, but without the netting, and with a hood. It has become my favorite shelter even though I do not depend on it as rain gear since I have not liked wearing a poncho. As a shelter, it is easy to pitch. I even switched it around easily one time when the wind changed directions. There is plenty of space under it. It is sturdy in a wind. There is an excellent review of the Gatewood at this site. If I were hiking alone on the JMT, I would definitely use it.
    I am planning not to carry more than 2-3 days worth of food a time until we pass the John Muir Ranch, but no, I do not think it would just weigh 3 lbs. Granola and snacks bars are heavy.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

I've taken 5 or 6 week-long Sierra hikes. The Sierras are full of water (tons of lakes and streams) and you really should be fine with a one-quart bottle. It's hard to go for more than 3 hours at a good pace without encountering water. I haven't been along the entire JMT, but I'd imagine the only real "dry" spot would be the ascent to Whitney. You could take along a collapsible water bladder for that segment.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools