Topic

Quilts for restless sleepers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quilts for restless sleepers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

I toss and turn alot while sleeping and have noticed a number of references to quilts (i’m thinking about buying/making one) not being good for sidesleepers. Are there other restless sleepers out there who have had good experiences w/ quilts?
    Thanks!

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Locale: Northeast

Take a look at the Pod 30 from Western mountaineering, have yet to try it in any real cold. ie 30 or below. But, have been happy with it so far. And Western Mountaineer is generally on with their temp ratings.

cushing hamlen

@chamlen

Locale: Minnesota

John: I class myself as a restless sleeper – varying from my back, to my sides, to my stomach, etc. While I have not used a “quilt” as such, for the last two summers I have been using the REI “Travel Down” sleeping bag. It is a 45 degree bag that opens up very much like the quilts you hear being discussed. I have used it opened up as a quilt in temps down to about 40 degrees with clothes on to boost the temp rating…and have found the experience much, much more comfortable than a closed-up sleeping bag. This is a VERY light bag…and my expectation is that a “true” quilt with more down will be equally comfortable down at lower temps. Personally, I am eyeing the Arc Alpinist by Nunatak (actually Ryan’s design, I believe) if I do not have the time to make one myself…..

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Additional source of light weight, down quilts, with baffling and footbox capability is Jacks ‘R’ Better, see Spotlites reports… We also make a unique Weather Shield System… The top of which is like a quilt style footed “bivi”…It is waterproof, windproof, breathable, made of Microporous Polypropylene ( Same as Dri Ducks), It is 79×53 which is 5 inches wider than the quilts to provide more security to the ground user…Weight is 6.7 oz…cost is $25.

Patti Binder
    BPL Member

@quiltbinder

Locale: Southwestern Florida

John,
    I have 3 quilts(6,9,&12oz.down fill) that I made from kits from Thru-Hiker.com. I made them with drawcord/velcro foot boxes (instead of sewn closed foot boxes) so I can also use them for hammock underquilts. When I sleep curled up on my side in the hammock, I sometimes get chilled on the backside of my legs, even when the rest of me is toasty. I usually just tuck the quilt in more, or turn over. It’s a mild annoyance and not bothersome enough that I would ever give up the comfort of quilts and hammocks over it.

cushing hamlen

@chamlen

Patti,
    At the risk of turning this in to more of a DIY discussion, I am curious about the drawcord style foot closure. I am considering making a quilt (the Arc Alpinist is nice, but a bit too pricey for me), and have been struggling with the mechanics of how to sew the footbox. Two questions for you: first, how is the comfort of the drawstring-style footbox? Part of me wonders whether is it too confining on the feet. Second (here is more of the DIY forum question), do you know just how does one go about sewing a baffled footbox and keep the fabric raw ends hidden? Ordinarily I would say to invert the work, sew leaving a hole, then turn the work back to outside-out. But is seems in this case the baffles would get in the way. Do you know or can you direct me to where to look? The on-line Thru-Hiker directions are quite vague on this point…..

Patti Binder
    BPL Member

@quiltbinder

Locale: Southwestern Florida

Cushing,
    The drawstring footbox doesn’t give me any problem. Just make a casing at the end of the bag and thread a drawsting (or elastis cord) through it. About 18″ of velcro(the nonsnag stuff is nice, but weaker and needs a snap at the top)on each edge of the bottom closes the footbox.
    I haven’t made a baffled footbox, but I think if you study the directions carefully it will finally make sense. And if you have any trouble, Ayce will help you. Get some cheap sale fabric or muslin and make a practice quilt shell to get the hang of how it goes together, and make sure it’s the right size for you.
    On footbox size; if you have really big feet, make sure the width of the foot end of the quilt is enough to go around your feet when comfortably splayed. Oh, also if you use a drawsting at the bottom, make sure the quilt is long enough to go from your heal, over the bottoms of your feet and up over your shoulders.
    I hope this helps.

cushing hamlen

@chamlen

Thanks Patti.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools