Topic

Osprey Atmos 65AG

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Osprey Atmos 65AG

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Wong
    BPL Member

@kayak4water

Locale: Pacific NW

The AG on the name stands for anti-gravity. Because I'm in between sizes, I used a medium for 285 miles and a small for 350 miles on the PCT. Pros: it carries a load of 35 lb really, really well. It has side pockets that permit easy access to water bottles while wearing the pack. Back ventilation was great! Organization was easy with two large front pockets, a large front pouch for wet items, two side mesh pockets, hip belt pockets, a lid with two pockets and a divider in the main bag. Zipper placement on the lid pockets permitted access for snacks, etc. without removing the pack. It had provision for carrying two ice axes as well as the Osprey style trekking pole carrier on the shoulder strap. Loops on the shoulder strap allowed me to attach a diy beacon pocket. Hip belt pockets CAN hold more than 60% of a large smartphone (iPhone 6/Samsung Note4) with moderate confidence, but they won't zip shut over the phone to save your life. Cons: I felt slight backward pull due to the ventilation space behind the back mesh, that the lifter straps didn't relieve. The Exos 58 with 30 lb. fit closer with almost imperceptible backward pull. Not really light weight at over four pounds, though lighter than many. Can't be worn without a shirt because of the mesh on the shoulder straps. A hard element in the hip belt pressed on my hip muscles often enough for me to return the pack. The hip belt pockets had short zippers and were too shallow to carry much. And the hip belt pockets will not zip shut over a cellphone and snacks, sunglasses, etc. Compare that with the hip belt pockets on my ULA Circuit which WILL zip over a cellphone. The "on-the-fly" hip belt adjustment slipped when it got wet from water dripping off wet brush. Then it slipped dry. After a while, I couldn't trust the rip/stick to hold the adjustment. Both sizes S and M had far too much strap on the hipbelt, which I'd have trimmed if I didn't know I'd probably return the pack to REI. The pack squeaked after two weeks on the trail. I didn't use the hydration pouch. I've rated this pack 4 stars, because of the good things Osprey has done with this pack. When they reshape the hard element sewn into the hip belt and correct the hip belt adjustment, it'll merit 5 stars. My current gear list includes: zpacks 20 degree bag, wide, regular length. hammock with netting, whoopie slings, tree straps hammock under quilt, Hammock Gear 20 degree. Warbonnet Superfly tarp 8 carbon stakes, rutalocura cat can alcohol stove with snuff can, alcohol in pint water bottle, foil windscreen, lighter Evernew 0.9 L saucepan, diy pot cozy. Fleece zip neck shirt, North Face Thermoball jacket, OR rain jacket, rain skirt, gaiters (or rain chaps), mitten shell/fleece liner, synthetic insulated hood. Platypus 2 L bottle, Powerade 1L bottle Aqua mira, chapstick, sunscreen, bug juice. Personal locator beacon.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools