Topic

Sierra Designs: 4.3 oz Waterproof Breathable Rain Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sierra Designs: 4.3 oz Waterproof Breathable Rain Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies
    Alex Orgren

@big_load

Any info on how waterproof or how breathable?

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

That’s pretty great. I didn’t think there would ever be anything lighter than a RainShield… let alone a jacket made of fabric with pockets and a full zipper, etc. Can’t wait to check this thing out next Spring : )

SAM LAMBERT
    Spectator

@sammyl

Does anyone have a report on the performance of the Epic fabric rain suit sold by the adventure racing supplier, MandatoryGear.com? The whole suit weighs 9 oz.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ryan:

I’d appreciate if you can clarify this jacket’s breathability rating. Alan’s article states:

“Nanolite: nylon ripstop waterproof/breathable silicone coated shell with DWR, 3,000 mm waterproofness, 3,0000 g/m2/24 hrs. breathability.”

What is 3,0000? The comma looks like it’s in the wrong place — or there is one zero too many??? 3,000 g/m2/24 is barely breathable; yet 30,000 would mean AMAZINGLY breathable (I think Goretex XCR is only 13,500). So which is it? Thanks in advance.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

I know it ain’t going to be as breathable as it’s more expensive rivals–I’m betting on 3,000. We aren’t going to see the magic pill yet (say eVENT in a full-sized sub 6 oz. jacket) when it comes to ultralight W/B rainwear.

And I just noticed that the original article now has the corrected figure of 3,000g/m/2/24 for breathibility.
    Check it out, Ben.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Just noticed that the above article has been corrected. This Neutron and Isotop jackets both have 3,000 g/m2/24 hrs. breathability.

Fantastically light weight, but alas, not all that breathable.

Nicholas Couis
    BPL Member

@nichoco

Figures for the PreCip are Waterproof- 15,000/
    Breathability-12,000/RET 65
    For the PreCip Plus are Waterproof-25,000
    Breathability-15,000/RET60
    These are European independant tests.As you can see the PreCip may be heavier but is much more waterproof and breathable.
    I would like to know the figures for the Patagonia Specter Jacket if anybody can get hold of them.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

So this is an old thread… but now that the North Face Triumph is out… at 5.4 ounces… how do these two jackets compare in terms of waterproofness and breathability? I can get an Isotope right now on sale at a local store for 50% off… but it still wasted money of it doesn't perform… or if the NF jacket performs better.

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

I tested out my triumph in the pouring rain for the first time today, and it works amazing. It kept me totally dry and really shed the rain, and I didn't get too clammy underneath. The hood is snug fitting and does a fantastic job. The only problem I can forsee is that without pitzips it may not ventilate as well in warmer weather, but for 5.8 oz I can deal with that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools