Topic

Making your own fixed length trekking poles.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making your own fixed length trekking poles.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    michael trafton

@traftonm3203

Locale: South East

I just finished testing my first set of home made trekking poles. They worked great during a series of short day trips of .2 miles to 1.7 miles while driving the Blue Ridge park way.
    The poles were easy to make, and at 52 inches and 13oz I was satisfied with the way they functioned.
    I was looking for a set of trekking poles that would be lighter then the aluminum ones I was using. While searching the Internet, the lightest poles seemed to be fixed length graphite, but these were a little pricey for me $200 pulse in some cases.

The one thing that I did notices was that all the fixed length poles looked like graphite golf shafts, which can be bought a lot cheaper then what was being charged.

I started by going to my local golf shop by getting the cheapest shaft I could find in graphite, I ended up paying around $9 each. At 46 inches and 87grams they seemed reasonable. I then ordered a set of Black Diamond replacement tips. $6.50 each $7 shipping. After I glued the tips on the shafts, it was amazing how well they fit, I felt this would be a little short for me so I bought extensions $2 each.

I was not able to find a suitable grip so I ended up using a corded golf grips. I spent $8 each for my grips but there are some as low as $2. I you are not comfortable putting the grips on most golf shops will do it for around $2 each.

For straps I used some left over material that I had in my repair bag.

The total time it took me to make the poles was under 1 hour. The total cost was $58, and at 13 oz as light as the high priced ones on the market. If you do not need poles over 48 inches or can find shafts cheaper you could save a few $ more.

If I do another set I’ll also cut the grips in half sense the whole grip is probably not necessary. This will save another oz or two.

Andrew Richard

@fairweather8588

Locale: The Desert

I dont want suck the wind out of anyone's sails here… because I realize this is a MYOG thread and i like to MYO as much as I can, but if you dont want to make your own and you have $65 you can get the Life Link A.T. Superlight poles over at http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/LIF0095/Life-Link-A.T.-Superlight-Trekking-Pole-1-Pair.html?id=uIaAFZsW
    they are 12 oz a pair. Im removing the basket and keeper strap for a hopeful 11 oz pair. It would have cost me nearly that much in materials. Free shipping too!

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Hi Michael and welcome to BPL, I assume you have read the MYOG thread regarding making your own poles by Jay Ham, if not it can be found here

Andrew thanks for the link, but for some MYOG is part of the fun.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Andrew, how did you remove your strap? Cutting it off or taking that pin out of the handle?

Andrew Richard

@fairweather8588

Locale: The Desert

I realize makin your own gear is part of the fun, I do it all the time. This is just a great price, when materials would come close Id rather pay for professional stuff, at least this once!

I used a small flathead screwdriver, the kind for eyeglasses and pushed the stainless steel rod out of the handle. the baskets just pop off. Poles each weigh 5.4 ounces now. (46 inch size)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools