Topic

Help! My supplier just ran out – where do I pick up a Coleman Exponent Xtreme at a decent price?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help! My supplier just ran out – where do I pick up a Coleman Exponent Xtreme at a decent price?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Campmor had these at $49 only a week ago – now they are gone! Anyone know where I can pick one up at a comparable good price? I've seen some retailers selling these at $70-90 a pop.

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak
    Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

looks like they don't have any in stock either. Coleman is coming out with a new version, although it is 3oz heavier.

E.J.,Look at it this way, I've got to explain to my wife why I just bought another stove, you don't have that problem

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Has is been confirmed yet that the Powermax fuel is being phased out? It's certainly becoming very very difficult to find. If this is the case, it might explain why the stoves are dissapearing too. The conversion kit is available for using alternative fuel.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I called Coleman and they confirmed that the different stoves that used the PowerMax canisters have been discontinued. I told them how sorry I was to hear that.

I am glad I have 3 of the Xtreme version of the stove, 11 big canisters and 1 of the small canisters.

I also have 3 of the adapters to use with a regular canister.

I will have to search for more PowerMax canisters and see what I can find.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

How difficult of a time are you guys having finding the canisters? I've nevr looked for them, but the outfitters by my place has lots of the large canisters (no small ones though) and a few stoves. They didn't say they were being discontinued when I inquired, but I suspect he had no idea either way.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I guess I was having a "gray hair" moment.

I called back and asked about the PowerMax Canister. The PowerMax Canister is not being discontinued.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

The only place I know of locally is REI, which typically carries the small ones. Come to think of it, does Coleman even make the large canisters any longer?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Other Grey Hair Moments Occurring?

Without it you run out of fuel
    By J.Hill from Germany on 9/10/2007
    Pros:Compact, Easy to Use, Functional, Lightweight
    Cons:to much plastic
    Best Uses:Backcountry Camping, River, Survival, Winter Camping
    Describe Yourself:Avid Adventurer
    Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
    You will need this item when there are no original canisters, either outside US or in the near future, when these original coleman canisters are not sold any more

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I want to confirm:

Are the Powermax stoves being phased out by Coleman or not?

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

If Bill called the company, it seems they are still being made. Coleman is making a new version of the exponent (can't remember the name, but it's on their website) that uses the powermax cannister, so I'd assume that they'll still be available.

Doug, I saw a bunch at the Seattle REI, so if you're nervous, and I'm wrong, go snatch some up (but leave me one or two, eh?)

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

At one time Coleman make three stoves that used the PowerMax Canister. They made two – one burner stoves and one – two burner stove. The picture on the Coleman web site is of the (heavier) of the two – one burner stoves. IT IS NOT A NEW STOVE – AND – IT IS ALSO GONE!!!!
    Coleman has stopped making all of them and the CS person I talked to said they have NO inventory of any of the 3.

Coleman will continue to make and sell the PowerMax Canister. When asked for how long all she could say is they have no plans to stop making it.

I have been buying the large canister here in San Antonio at a local Sportsmans Warehouse. I just called them and they have both the Xtreme stove and the large canisters. The large canister sells here for $3.6?? something. Next time I go near the store I will stop and see how many xtreme's they have in stock

I might buy a few more to put on my "Phase One" diet.

John Haley

@quoddy

Since I needed a more up to date winter stove, and with the Powermax future being so cloudy, I ordered a Coleman EXP Fyrestorm Titanium Stove this afternoon. Reports on BPL indicated that in canister mode it should work down to -10F, and below that it still has the white gas option.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Does it seem like it's likely these PowerMax cartridges will no longer be produced? Do all of you have the adapter kit for other fuel bottles? How much weight does it add and how much does it cost?

Bill, does the Sportsman's Warehouse carry the Xtreme stoves? How much are they? Do they sell online?

John, how much was your Coleman EXP Fyrestorm Titanium Stove and where did you get it from? If I remember correctly that stove didn't offer as much of a weight savings as it could have because of some adapter stand that was needed. Perhaps I'm confusing it with another stove.

Also, do you recommend getting the Coleman Exponent Xtreme repair kit ($8-15) which has replacement nuts, gaskets, etc. and a wrench made to fit the stove.

John Haley

@quoddy

I bought the Coleman EXP Fyrestorm Titanium Stove from REI with the $25 off coupon currently available… code WMPRT7. Still expensive at $155, but it did include both the tripod and adapter as well as the alternate fuel bottle and adapter. Stuff sack, aluminum windscreen and heat reflector are also included. Weight of the stove and tripod for canister use is 11oz.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

John, what are the main advantages to that stove over the Xtreme?

John Haley

@quoddy

The only real advantages are the easy to find Coleman 70/30 fuel canisters it uses and the white gas option. No, it's probably not worth the $$$ difference, but the completeness of it as a lighyweight unit hooked me.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

3 of 4 places I tried are out of stock. I'm back at my first question – anyone know where to find one at a decent price? I'm still waiting to hear back from one of the 4 places I contacted.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Looks like the Xtreme is officially kaput, alright.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/newsrelease.asp?releasenum=289

I was just now able to add an Xpert to my cart on the Coleman Web site, but I didn't buy it so it can now be yours(!) They're still stocking the 2-burner Xponent. I imagine both are whatever's left in the warehouse. The Max adapter should be available for awhile, but I suspect it erases any weight advantage the Xtreme might otherwise have.

The series lasted ten years, and not many bits of backpacking gear can claim that.

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Saw an exponent extreme the other day when I was shopping around. Glad I pulled the trigger on the one I found at moontrail.

If coleman keeps producing the cartridges, you won't need the adaptor for a while, although I might pick one up, just to be safe.

On a tangential note, doesn't it seem like when the ultralight community really likes something that a mainstream company produces, they stop making it?

Maybe that's just my persecution complex talking.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Rick,
    If I could still get an Xtreme, would you buy it, or look for another model or wait for a hopefully equally light new Coleman model?

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Rick,

I didn't see anything in that release (almost 2 years old, by the way) that said the PowerMax canisters were being discontinued. This has been speculated for at least 1/2 of the ten years of these products and they still keep coming. I do wish Coleman would breathe some fresh air into the line (with a Bill-esque 5oz. version or something) but I think that the fuel is still around. It's always been hard to find, but until Coleman says it's no longer going to put it on shelves I'd be hesitant to toll the death knell. It's simply been wrong too many times.

-Curt

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Hi EJ,

The Xtreme is a fine winter stove, and a good if heavy all-around stove. I'd only get one now if I needed an easy to use and powerful winter camping stove, and had a steady supply of Max cartridges. Otherwise, I'd probably get one of the several remote inverted Lindal stoves. Lindal is the VHS of cartridges (Max the Beta, har :-)

–Rick

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Sorry Curt, I pasted the wrong linkie:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?product_id=9720-725

I only wanted to note the big red "product no longer available" rectangle atop the Xtreme listing.

I agree we don't know what the Max fuel lifespan is, but I'm not hopeful personally.

–Rick

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I just came back from the Sportsman Warehouse near me.

We have two Sportsman's Warehouse stores here in San Antonio. The store near me has 1 Xtreme ($64.99) and 2 Expert ($54.99). They have 4 of the large size PowerMax Canisters at $3.49. I asked them if they could call the other store and they have 2 Xtreme Stoves and 14 large PowerMax canisters. I will assume the prices are the same. I did not ask about the Expert Stove at the other store. Sportsman's Warehouse does not have internet sales.
    ===================Added=======================
    Moontrail.com has a better price if they have any left. $52.00 for the Xtreme and $48.00 for the Expert. They also are located here in San Antonio.
    ==============================================
    If you have a Coleman Outlet Store near you they may have some. I got mine there several years ago for around $35 each.

The Xtreme or Expert Stoves are really hard to beat at low temperatures but you need to be able to buy the PowerMax Canisters. If you have an outdoor store near you – you might want to visit and ask them if they will stock the PowerMax Canister or if they can buy them for you. If they say they will or you want to buy a case Coleman maybe able to ship them to you. I think they can be shipped but only by ground.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools