Topic

Gear repair kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear repair kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj
    BPL Member

@aalarfaj

Locale: Northern MN

Hey everyone, I was curious to hear what people bring with them for gear repair on the trail? I used to carry about 3 ounce(85g) of gear repair stuff but would like to pare it down to an ounce(28g) or less. I was thinking of keeping a heavy duty needle, dental floss, some duct(gorilla) tape, a couple of patches, and a small tube of seam grip. Thanks for any input.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Your list looks great. I also assume you carry some sort of knife???? I include it in my repair kit weight.

Given that you want 1oz, w/ a knife on top of your list you can handle most mishaps!

Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj
    BPL Member

@aalarfaj

Locale: Northern MN

Mr. Harper, you have assume correctly. I will also be carrying a leatherman squirt P4 with will also be my pot grabber, file for nails, and what ever I need it for. Thank you for insight. What do you carry?
    aziz

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Good choice. I went for the Squirt S4 since I seem to use scissors three or four times a day. My only real repair gear is the medical duct tape I carry in my small first aid pouch.

Jake
    BPL Member

@trekmore

Locale: Colorado

I have a mix of items

– 4 safety pins in with the medical kit
    – Micra w/ scissors 1.7 oz, but I think I may get a P4 (2oz) and bring a tiny swiss army with scissors (.7)… I like having both tools and have used both items (pliers and scissors)… I like the pot holder use.
    – duct tape, but in with the survival stuff..
    – I do have a seamseal/patch kit for the inflatable pad – .7oz
    – Also will chop up the bear lines if I need some rope for repairs…

Would be curious to know what else people bring…

– Jake

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Aziz,

I, too, carry the P4 – love it! And like Jake, I get the most a lot of use from scissors, so I also carry a gerber knife w/scissors & integrated nail clipper too. I'll weigh the two knives together to get the weight. I know it weighs more this way, but what the heck!

As for my kit, it's basically the same as yours – I need to add the needle, though.

Todd

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I carry small amounts of several materials that are multi-use for repair, survival and even first aid:

super glue
    duct tape
    24 gauge wire
    30 pound test Spider Wire fishing line (Spectra)
    small diameter braided nylon seine twine
    floss
    a hotel freebie-style sewing kit
    single edge razor blade
    Victorinox Classic knife
    Victorinox Outrider knife (has saw and scissors)

Shahrin Bin Shariff
    BPL Member

@zzmelayu

Locale: In the shadow of Table Mountain

John, Any tips on how you keep you S4 scissors sharp? Mine has turned dull over the last 9 months.

Valentin Zill

@valentin-zill

Locale: Europe

Well, I carry:

a small needle
    dental floss
    a razor blade
    some very small safety pins
    duct tape – can be wrapped around trekking poles, if you carry them

And that's it! Ca suffit. Doesn't allow for perfect on-trail repairs, but should be enough on weekend trips.

Craig S Stewart

@cstewart

Locale: Southwest Germany

Anyone have any experience with the Coast Micro Pliers which has both pliers and scissors along with other tools and weighs 2 oz?

Click for Description

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

That Coast multi-tool has a good combination of tools. I've looked at many of the smaller plier and scissor-based tools and it always comes down to pliers or scissors unless you graduate to a larger and much heavier tool. My only misgiving with the Coast tools is that many are made in China with inferior steel. If you are only using them occasionally, it really wouldn't make much difference, but if you are in a situation where you need high performance, the steel won't take the stress or hold it's edge as well as Leatherman, Gerber or Victorinox tools will.

My solution to the pliers-or-scissors problem has been to go with a plier-based tool and add a pair of light scissors like the Fiskar's #4 or #5. You end up with a pair of very good scissors— far better and easier to use than any offered on a multi-tool.

All said and done, pliers aren't all that useful in the woods unless you are using something with a motor or a bike. I use a Victorinox Classic on my survival lanyard and I've found the scissors on the Classic to take care of small repairs and grooming. I see the Leatherman Micra as pretty much equal to the Classic. Moving up in weight and features, the Wenger Handyman has a saw and scissors as well as a decent knife, can opener, and awl. Heavier yet are the Victorinox Trekker and Outrider models. These 111mm frame knives are more useful survival tools with 3.5" locking knife blade, saw, can opener, etc, and the Outrider adds a pair of scissors.

Tools and knives are an UL challenge for me. I'm not one to head out with something like a single edge razor blade or a Classic as my only tool. I prefer to have at least a folding knife in the 3.5" range. I think a fixed blade knife in the 4" range is optimal. Keep in mind that I hike solo much of the time.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Shahrin wrote: "Any tips on how you keep you S4 scissors sharp? Mine has turned dull over the last 9 months."

Spyderco knives makes a ceramic sharpener called the Sharpmaker. You can use it for your kitchen knives, tools, scissors, etc. It comes with an instructional DVD, which includes scissor sharpening. It is the easiest and most effective sharpening system I have used and it works with modern tool and stainless steels. I got mine on Ebay for about $35. http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

There is a book, "How to Sharpen Anything" that will show how to sharpen scissors. Check your local library.

If you want a good hiking sharpening tool, Eze-Lap and others make credit card-sized diamond hones that are light and relatively inexpensive.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I have never seen them but most scissors have a one sided edge so they should be super easy to sharpen with any small wetstone.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

My gear is very simple, so my repair kit is too –

duct tape,
    needle & thread/dental floss
    Swiss Army classic knife
    some extra guyline cord
    a few safety pins

douglas girling
    BPL Member

@dgirling

Locale: Adirondacks

Duct tape
    Needle thread / fishing line
    Thin wire (not sure on gauge) 2ft
    Razor blade
    Small scissors (broken off from a damaged swiss army knife)
    Safety pins
    Zip ties 8" length – these work fantastically for quick fix of anything that requires a little strength such as a broken waist belt buckle

Total weight 1 oz

Steven Nelson
    BPL Member

@slnsf

Locale: Northern California

A few cable ties can be really useful as well – especially in winter with snowshoes/skis.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools