Topic

Lightweight Lanterns – any favorites?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Lanterns – any favorites?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Locale: Utah

http://candlelantern.com/mini.html

Now that the days are shorter I'm considering an UCO Mini candle lantern. 4 ounces & it burns standard tea candles.

11 dollars. Seems like it should be a nice addition to a camp when a fire isn't appropriate. Light output is probably very low but I see it as a supplement to the headlamp.

The Brunton LED lantern weighs the same but costs more and requires batteries. I also imagine the UCO lanterns produce a warmer light than the LEDs bluish output.
    What do you use?

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Locale: GSM Area

I use a minibulldesigns water light. I don't think he sells them anymore but you can make them really easy. It is light and holds extra fuel bottle for my stove.

Tommy

Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

http://www.rei.com/product/743073?vcat=REI_SEARCH

I always thought these were kinda lame but it only weighs 3.25 oz. and if your carrying a nalgene anyway . . .

Firefly Bottle Lantern

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

I also enjoy a candle lantern in the winter. It 'seems' (I have to qualify this because there are so many science geeks out there) to add warmth and reduce condensation in the tent. It's a nice, warm light to have when settling in and sipping my hot buttered rum. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

These days it's an LED lamp with lithium batteries. Light. Reliable. Longer run time / oz than any other option.

For years I like an "Ultra Candle" which was constructed a lot loke a candle lantern, but burned a clear oil through a wick. My memory was that I got something like 16 hours from a 4oz? system. Don't know where to still get these.

If you want a LOT of light then one of the compact gas lanterns is the way to go. I tried one of the burton mantelless lanterns… skip it. Quality of light was poor given the weight of the system.

–mark

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

"These days it's an LED lamp with lithium batteries. Light. Reliable. Longer run time / oz than any other option."

Mark, Mark, Mark,
    Totally without ambience. How can you sip a hot buttered rum (or brandy) by lithium light?!
    ;-)

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

PP

> Totally without ambience. How can you sip a hot buttered rum (or brandy) by lithium light?!
    If you don't know how to sip hot buttered rum, I can't help you… :-)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools