Topic

Sewing Fleece to Momentum…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sewing Fleece to Momentum…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I want to make some headgear for quilt sleeping, something that will cover everything except my nose and mouth. (To make it multi-purpose I might make the face covering detachable so I can use it during waking hours).

Can I make the inside layer fleece, the next layer XP, and the outer layer Momentum? It seems like the stretch in fleece might make it hard to be sewn to a non-stretch fabric like Momentum.

Would this be a problem?

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I'm probably not the guy you want to listen to on this subject but, I do like to "mess around" with my cheap sewing machine to see what happens.

Here are a couple of ideas that will keep the thread going until someone that knows what they are talking about can chime in …

You could try "gathering" the momentum along the seam as you sew which would basically supply more momentum length for stretch in the seam. And, use the zig-zag stitch, which allows for stretch in the thread of the seam.

Another option would be to sew the seam normally but of sufficient length so that the head piece would be the maximum size you would ever need. Then sew in a cord & cord-locks in the seam, so that you could cinch the hood down to a smaller size (or use elastic shock cord).

Sounds like you are working on a nice hood! Let us know how it comes out. Good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools