Topic

UL tent durability questions – specifically BA Copper Spur

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL tent durability questions – specifically BA Copper Spur

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian
    Spectator

@brian_p

Locale: Rocky Mountains

My wife and I wanted a lightweight tent (under 4 lbs) for backpacking and car camping. We both like the cozy feeling of a double walled, fully enclosed shelter every now and then. I handled a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-2 at the store today – it has been a major contender because of all the reviews and recommendations online, and I hear great things about Big Agnes. Well, the first thing I noticed was how thin the material was. It's a drastic difference from my old Eureka tent, that's for sure!

I'm wondering just how durable these tents actually are and how much they have to be babied. My old Eureka (from back in my boy scout days, 10+ years ago) weighed about 6 lbs, and I know I can't expect the same level of durability from a Copper Spur tent or something similar. But I can't help worry about the lifespan of the Copper Spur. I'm thinking about ordering something slightly heavier, like the new BA Rattlesnake tent with its gimmicky lights. It's the exact same design as the Copper Spur, but it weighs about a pound more. Apparently trail weight is just under 4 lbs.

I'm not so much worried about wind and weather as I'm worried about my own carelessness. I can take care of my gear but I don't want it to be a constant source of worry. Should I still consider the Copper Spur? Am I underestimating its durability? Are there other, more durable tents in the same price range ($300-$400)?

EDIT: Sorry my first post here is about tents that aren't even all that lightweight!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

After owning a fly creek ul1 I would say the fabric requires a little more observation than thicker tents. Sleeping bags have recently switched to 10d and even .6oz fabrics, they are much thinner and lighter, but I NEVER hear about them being much of a problem.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

What kind of conditions do you expect to use the shelter in? How are you evaluating durability? Strength of zippers; tear resistance of flysheet; waterproof rating of floor; how windproof is it; will the poles and flysheet withstand light snow; how quickly will the fabrics degrade after UV exposure…?

The Copper Spur was the first "UL" tent I bought. BA are pretty conservative as they don't want massive returns. So the CS is heavier duty than you might expect. However, a couple of factors count against it. The inner tent is mostly mesh, so it's going to be very breezy in there and won't protect against blown dust, sand or snow. And the tent pitches inner first, so in a downpour the tent will get wet before you can get the flysheet attached.

BPL members will most likely steer you toward cottage manufacturers. Let me suggest you take a look at Tarptent. In the ~$350 range they have a number of 2P tents that offer the choice between mesh and semi-solid inners, and all Tarptents pitch outer (flysheet) first, with the inner tent attached inside. Consider any of their 2P or 3P shelters. I consider them built to a higher standard than mass market tents like BA. Henry Shires stands behind his products, and you'll get excellent warranty service if you ever need it.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

With adults I wouldn't worry.

With children, yeah my son, 3 at the time, ripped the fly on a BA tent (King Creek – car camping) by kicking the interior pocket. So don't do that. Otherwise I wouldn't worry. But I also agree with Stuart on the pitching in the rain factor.

Brian
    Spectator

@brian_p

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Thanks for all the responses. I guess durability has a lot of elements to it.

I have looked seriously at Tarptent. I like the Double Moment and Double Rainbow quite a bit! I don't really like silnylon floors, but I don't think that's enough to sway me one way or the other.

I'm glad to hear that the CS is fairly durable. I have a chance to get one at a halfway reasonable price, so that's why I specifically asked about it. Hopefully some of this info can be useful to people looking at other tents as well.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Since this is a UL gear forum, I think there is an understanding that gear has to be handled with a little care, however, the light-weight BA shelters are reasonably tough. I've owned the Copper Spur UL2, Fly Creek and Slater and all have held up well (my son now has my Copper Spur and Fly Creek).

My only concern with these light-weight shelters is fires/sparks. Definitely don't want them near a fire. I also think BA does a really bad job with zippers. They have all snagged at one time or another.

I totally disagree with the comment about the Copper Spur being drafty. The reason I bought mine was because it was one of the few tents around with semi-solid inner tent. I now have a Slater with a solid inner tent and a Tarptent Notch with a semi-solid inner, so I have some experience with wind/sand blocking inner tents.

If you plan on carrying a BA footprint with the Copper Spur you can set the inner tent up after you have set up the fly if that's important to you. I don't carry a ground cloth and haven't been too concerned about the inner getting wet, easy to wipe off the floor with my pack towel.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

The lighter the material the less abuse it will take…. most of the time.

But I'd add that even the older thicker heavier tents had a lifetime that was limited by things other that are hard to predict. I think most people move on from a tent based upon things other than when the floor material ends its useful life. And you can repair these things. If you tear a tent or the floor becomes less than waterproof there are steps you can take to fix it. Most people don't bother…. they send it to the landfill and buy the next super gizmo.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools