Topic

Industrial machines – who’s using them?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Industrial machines – who’s using them?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eric Parsons

@ericp

Locale: Alaska

Just thought I'd see who is sewing with industrial machines.

I just got a used Juki compound feed (walking foot) machine that blows my mind… makes things much easier. Been sewing through everything with its 1/2 hp motor using V92 thread.

Ryan Longmire
    BPL Member

@longmire

Locale: Tejas

Better question – who can afford them?

Even the used ones are $$$

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Heh….that is very true. They don't come cheap. Sometimes they pop up here in WA on Craigslist..but they are not cheap.

I almost bought an industrial in the early summer, but I backed off and instead put my money into a Pfaff that is consumer friendly but can handle production runs. It still wasn't cheap though! Yikes….glad I hit the summer sale.

We are going to still get an industrial for me…but it will have to be put into my office, and my office is still full of remodeling supplies for our house. :-(

So yeah, someday I will join you!

Eric Parsons

@ericp

The thing is that they dont depreciate in value much at all. A local shop was trying to sell a used 30 yr old Pfaff 145 for around $1,300 (!) So its an investment like anything else, but you can always sell it for about what you paid for it. Not that I see that happening with mine…

ms juki

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

I certainly use them. But then again, I have them for my business not for hobby sewing. It makes things much, much easier than a typical sewing machine in some cases, others you about break even in effort as it really depends on the system. My work machines often aren't set up for thinner materials so I have to use a walking foot to compensate.

I've got a few (3 or 4) extra commercial/industrial sewing machines laying around. They all still work fine (2 practically new) but didn't work on 1" tubular webbing in 3 layers with tight bartacks for my slackline business.

They are all normal style movable systems (i.e. not permanently table mounted). Some have external drive motors that mount to the sewing machines base, others are internal motors like a normal sewing machine. I think I still have the decorative cams and walking foot attachments for one or two.

If anyone is actually interested let me know and I'll take some photos and make a posting in the gear swap area.

Graham Williams

@crackers

I've got a brother b430e cam tacker, a juki 5556-e automatic straight stitch machine and a camatron pattern tacker and binding tape machine on order that should get delivered next month.

I have a old brother that was adopted to being a sail making machine that's kinda fun, but it's not an industrial machine.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I just purchased a Singer 15-88. Although it's not quite a full industrial machine, it will handle up to 4 layers of webbing and is capable of handling any project I presently have in mind as a relative beginner. Budget wise it just squeaked in at $355 for a 58 year old, completely refurbished machine.

Eric Parsons

@ericp

If you can find something to sell to ofset the cost it sure helps

I've been making custom bike bags so it was justified and I just about have it paid off already.

Justin – are those all bartack machines you are selling?
    I could be interested down the road a tad. I dont really know anything about commercial bartack machines – I take it the cam controls the width of this zigs..?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools