Topic

Help Me with a Gear Diet!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help Me with a Gear Diet!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

I think I'm almost there…. Please help me look at my list and let me know if you have any ideas to reduce weight, if you think I have left anything out or if anything needs to be upgraded. This is for 3 season 2 1/2 day trips in the Smokies. Thanks!

Clothing Worn
    Hat Tilley 3.1oz
    Shirt Icebreaker Tech T Lite 6.2oz
    Briefs ExOfficio Boxer Briefs 3.1 oz
    Pants ExOfficio Convertibles 13.1oz
    Socks Smartwool Adrenaline 2.7oz
    Shoes Innov8 Roclite 315's 27.1oz
    Total 3.45lbs

Other Items Carried/Worn
    Poles GG Litetrek 3's 6.4oz
    Whistle ACR whistle w/ Photon .5oz
    Watch Timex .8oz
    Total .48lbs

Other Clothing
    Windshirt Patagonia Houdini 3.8oz
    Rain Jacket DriDucks 5oz
    Rain Pants DriDucks 5oz
    Extra Socks 2 pr Darn Tough 5.4oz
    Warm Hat Beanie 1.9oz
    Total 1.32lbs

Sleep System
    Shelter MacCat Std Tarp Tot Wt 15.4oz
    Hammock Hennessey Hyperlite 21.9oz
    Pad GG Nitelite Torso 3.65oz
    Top Quilt/Insulation JRB Stealth Lg 18.1 oz
    Bottom Quilt JRB Nest 23oz
    Total 5.13lbs

Packing
    Pack Gregory G 46oz
    Stuff Sack Sea to Summit Lg 1.8oz
    Stuff Sack Sea to Summit Med 1.1oz
    Stuff Sack Granite Gear Sm .8oz
    Total 3.09lbs

Cooking and Water
    Stove 12-10 Alcohol .6oz
    Cookpot Evernew .9L w/ foil lid 3.5oz
    Windscreen Caldera Cone 1.2oz
    Cup/Mug/Bowl Zip Lock (holds Caldera) 1.9oz
    Utensil Ti Spork .6oz
    Lighting Sm Bic Lighter .4oz
    Water Bottles 1L and 2L Platypus 2.2oz
    Water Treatment Kleerwater in Dropper .5oz
    Food Storage Ursalite Bear Bag 2oz
    Total .81lbs

Other Essentials
    Map ???
    Reading Glasses Glasses in Case .6oz
    Compass Brunton Baseplate 1oz
    Light Petzyl E+lite 1oz
    First Aid Kit in Aloksak 2.1oz
    Firestarting Sparklite, matches, and firestarter in Aloksak 1oz
    Hygene Aloksak w/ misc 5.2oz
    Total .73lbs

Fuel Plastic Alcohol Bottle (empty) 1oz
    Food 2.5 days at 24oz/day 60oz
    Water Average Carried 16oz
    Total 4.81lbs

Weight Summary
    Total Worn/Carried 3.93lbs
    Total Base Wt in Pack 11.07lbs
    Total Wt Consumables 4.81lbs
    Initial Pack Wt 15.77lbs
    Full Skin Out Wt 19.81

I plan to make the following changes to my Packing as soon as the items become available:

G Pack to ULA Conduit saving 26oz
    Various Stuff Sacks to BPL Nano's saving 2.6oz
    Total Wt Savings 1.76lbs
    New Base Wt 9.27
    New Initial Pack Wt 14.08lbs

The only thing I'm not flexible on is the hammock system. Thank you all for what I've learned from this site that has helped me put my gear list together – especially where the gear sales were! While I've spend a buck or two, I found a couple of great deals on used gear, and I haven't had to re-buy anything (yet). Any suggestions appreciated!!

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Are two extra pairs of socks really necessary? I can see wanting an extra pair for sleeping but not two pair.

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

I have two extra's. One to sleep in and one to use for gloves/extra dry pair – giving me more options than carrying gloves. You're right though. If I put my EW Capilene liners in place of the other socks I shave 1.5oz. Thanks!

Anybody got any suggestions on lighter socks? I'm real happy with mine, but would gladly try some that weigh less.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

How many stuff sacks to you really need? I have a small one that I keep all of my small stuff in (Dr. Bronners, AM, contacts, lighter, etc) and a trash compactor/trash bag as a liner for my pack. That's it. Unless you're a lot more organized than I am or have a lot more small stuff I can't imagine really needing anymore than that. Granted I use my bug head net to hold my stakes and extra guyline, but that's technically making a dual-use :).
    Other than that little nit-pick you have a good looking list. Without switching to a ground sleep system (for weight savings, not comfort-wise) I don't see anything I would much change. Unless you wanted to go with one of the new MLD hammock tarps and save around a half pound :D hehehe.
    Also, I don't know how chilly it gets where you hike during 3.5 seasons, but I don't really see any insulating gear (base layer or otherwise). If you think/know you'll be warm then more power to you, but I know even in Missouri it can get pretty cold in the early spring and late fall and a base layer is really nice.

Adam

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Jeff,

That's actually a fine gear list in my opinion!

About the only suggestion I have is, perhaps you could do with a smaller tarp for the hammock. My Jacks R Better 8'x8' silnylon tarp weighs 9.3 oz and costs about $75: a savings of 6 oz.

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

Stuff sacks – you're right, I've been using the large to provide extra protection from moisture for the quilts. One will hold the rest of my gear, and the change to the trash bag will protect everything. Thanks!!

Base layer – I do have the Stealth (a lighter weight version of the No Sniveller) for coverage in the evening/morning. It is a bit of a pain to pack/unpack for stops though. Typically if its cooler I'll swap the Tech T Lite for a long sleeve wool baselayer. Thanks to the one day 25% off sale I do have the Cocoon pullover/pants for wintertime.

Tarps – I love my MacCat. I did struggle a lot over which size to buy. The tarp alone weighs 11.8 oz. My posted weight includes guylines, 6 Ti stakes, stuff sack, and 2 small Figure 9's. With the down quilts I prefer the extra coverage. I'm certainly a big JRB fan. Have you used your's in bad rain/cold yet?

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

The only place I see where I have duplication (other than firestarting and lights by design) is in my pants/rain pants. I think 1lb for underwear and convertible pants can be beat, and am wondering if I go to shorts and a pair of wind pants, can I easily eliminate the rain pants.

I've found the Golite Whim pants @ 4oz and the Montbell UL wind pants @ 2.6oz. Does this make sense? Anybody used either one of these? Other suggestions?

By the way, the best money I spent this year was this membership. I've learned a ton from everyone, and you have helped me make wise buying decisions (which ultimately saves a lot of money). Thanks!

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I wear shorts year-round, and carry homemade wind pants that weigh 2.7 oz. Like the ultralight wind shirts, they add a surprising amount of warmth for something that feels so insubstantial. The shorts are Golite Terrain shorts, about 5 ounces in the Large size. The combination is IMO more versatile and much lighter than zip-off nylon hiking pants.

I do carry GoLite Reed w/b pants in winter, and often use a pair of tall w/b gaiters in snow. (Note also that my "winter" in North Carolina is different from, say, the White Mountains, and requires different gear and clothing choices.)

Brittany W

@quasarr

Locale: Southeast

Hello Jeff, this is my first post here so hopefully I won't sound like too much of a newb!

Anyway, I think you could shave an ounce or two in your kitchen by swapping out your pot, windscreen, and stove. The infamous Walmart grease pot weighs in at 2.7 oz with an aluminum flashing lid. The internet reports the weight of a supercat stove to be 0.2 oz. A homemade aluminum windscreen can come in at under an ounce, and can fold up to fit inside your pot. And if you're feeling a little nutty, you could even try a Heineken can pot.

All those things are so inexpensive and/or easy to make, you can hardly go wrong just trying them out! YMMV on weight of homemade stuff.

Also I'd do away with the cup/bowl/mug, and eat out of the pot instead. I don't know how the platypi hold up to hot drinks, so maybe you could swap one with a 1L water bottle?

Cheers!

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

I like the sound of the Golite Terrain shorts – only problem is I can't find them anywhere. About the lightest shorts with pockets I can find weigh 6oz. They don't appear to have mesh liners. Anybody got any suggestions???

Pot/stove/cup- I didn't know the grease pot w/ lid was that light! I also didn't know the supercat only weighs .2oz. I doubt I'll change pots, but my son has been asking me to help him build a stove, so we'll see how that goes. I do kinda draw the line about having something to drink my coffee from. It's just not the same "waking up" experience when I sit and drink out of a pot. I compared the weight of my Ti cup to the Ziplock, and it was .1oz difference. For the .1 I got a place to pack my Caldera, my firestarting, and my first aid kits. I also got a container to eat from if I need it. I do appreciate your points though – as I have whittled away at my list I have realized that even though I love to hang, if I change my sleep system, I'm almost SUL as it is. With your ideas I can be there for sure!

Please don't stop! I appreciate it all!

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

Just wondering if you might save a little weight on the hygiene items at 5.2 oz. Seems a little heavy to me, but I don't know what you are carrying.

You could throw your first aid kit & firestarting kit in lighter sandwich or snack zip-locks to keep them clean and separate, & put both of those in one aloksack for waterproofing and protection. It won't save a lot of weight, but hey, this IS backpackinglight – home of the most anal gram weenies.

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Locale: GSM Area

I think you are right with going to ground. I recently went from a HH to ground and tarp and am happy with the weight loss. I invested in new ground insulation from Gossamer gear. I went to a Poncho tarp, but I recently ordered a solo tarp because I was moving away from the poncho. We hike in the same area and my base weight for winter is about 12lbs. I am running a MBD isofly stove and a homemade heny pot. I also carry a small cup(like you I enjoy drinking out of one as oposed to a pot) my kitchen runs about 12.6oz I know i could drop a few oz out of it, but you have to have some comforts :)

Tommy

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

It's amazing how this stuff makes you think. As y'all give me suggestions I just keep staring at my list and scrutinizing everything. Last night I consolidated the first aid and firestarting kits.

You're right on the weight of the hygene. That has all my stuff no matter what the season. I thin it down for each given trip, but felt like I was cheating if I didn't include everything.

On the going to ground thing – I'm not giving up my hammock (the used 4 season quilt set was the most expensive purchase I've made), but I'm not saying I won't give the ground and SUL a try. I'm close enought that I'm sure I will.

I've been looking at the poncho here at BPL. It looks too small for me to carry if rain were in the forecast (as an SUL shelter), but I really like what it would do to my base weight if I also get rid of the rain pants, go to hiking shorts and wind pants – close to a 1lb savings I think. If I were planning on using the poncho regularly for my tarp, I think the size/weight combo of the MLD poncho would be closer to my liking. Any suggestions along those lines (or any other) will be greatly appreciated!

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Tommy,

Go to ground and save a pound if you want but it is easy to hang in winter at 12 lbs base weight…. comfort trumps the last pound as one ages… :-)))

Pan

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

For most, you're going to spend more time on your back than sitting or hiking. For me, the 26 oz inflatable insulated pad is a virtual *zero weight item*: I don't do the ground any more, and I'm not going without it.

MikeB

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools