Topic

Synthetic Sleeping Bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Synthetic Sleeping Bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Donald Browning
    BPL Member

@docdb

Locale: SE USA

I am thinking of getting an Integral Design North Twin in Broad and long and realize that I'll be spending over $500 for a 10 degree Synthetic Bag. Before I got for this though, I thought I would ask for suggestions for a synthetic 10 degree bag.
    Don

Jozef _____

@derjosef

Locale: The southern border of Holland

I own the Snugpak Elite 3 but it's comfort rating is -5 C. The Elite 4 is about of the same specs as the North Twin, and about the same weight (pretty darn heavy).. but it appears the Snugpak can be bought (over here in EU) for a lot less than the Integral Design.

I bought mine for about 150 US dollar. It is a proven design and it never has let me down. SO that might be an option to consider.

http://www.snugpak.com/30_codegreen/31_05_softie12osprey.htm

You might consider the Snugpak Softie Osprey tho, because it packs a lot smaller than the Elite's.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I called Integral Designs and asked them if they could make a custom Renaissance for me. I wanted the Renaissance, 20 degree bag, with 3 layers of the Primaloft on top and one on the bottom instead of the 2 and 2 layers in the stock bag. They said they could do it but it would take anywhere between 3 to 6 weeks. If you can wait that would be a good option. The customization fee was something like 15% which would still be roughly half the price of the North Twin broad bag, and quite a bit lighter.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Donald, do you really need a 10' bag? Or can you use a 20' bag and wear your insulation layer while sleeping to boost the rating?
    If you consider that and still need a 10'F bag, the Montbell super stretch Burrow #0 is a 3'F synthetic for $179; or less if you watch for sales.
    http://www.backcountry.com/store/MTB0051/MontBell-America-Inc.-Super-Stretch-Burrow-0-Sleeping-Bag-3-Degree-Synthetic.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=MTB0051&mv_pc=r126

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Locale: Utah

It is a decent bag but I can't get too excited over any synthetic bags. They have their uses.

More specifically the shell and lining are nice. The hood is pretty good but never seals up as well as some of my other bags. ( Western Mountaineering & Marmot) The temp rating is a accurate IMO when the bag is new. Time will tell if the Primaloft Sport holds it's loft.

Regarding sizing, you'd have to be pretty huge to need the broad ID bags. I went with the long standard size and the 64" shoulder girth is fine. FWIW I'm 6' 210 and that weight comes from lifting not cheese burgers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools