Topic

Down slippers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Down slippers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Sharpmack

@drumalways

does anybody know what kind of rubber or sole to put on some backpacking slippers(down)???

David Wills

@willspower3

I've heard of people putting heavy cordura on the bottom with a ccf insole. 1000 D would probably be good.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

You could put on some thin strips of seam grip or shoe goo or some type of caulk. Could prevent a glissade on the stairs at least.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

My girlfriend made me a pair what she likes to call toe caps or toe cozies for my thru hike this summer. She made the base out of cordura and then also made a pocket for my toes of Momentum 90 with Dupont Thermolite insulation inside. She captured the whole process in photos but they're aren't posted anywhere.

Fred Stevenson

@freds

Locale: Montana
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

This is how I made my insulated Toe Cozies. This was done on a hike and all I had to sew with was a neddle and some thread and an extra piece of tarp cord.

Toe Cozies

Justin Ling

@ling_jd

Locale: columbus ohio

Hey guys. i was inspired by this thread when I saw how simple bill's toe cozies were. I wanted a really light sleep sock. I made a pair of super thick fleese socks with toe caps for extra warmth, but they came to 4 oz. total. WAAYYYY too heavy! so about an hour later i sat back down and sewed these puppies out of some ~1oz. ripstop fabric i have around and some down from an old eddie bauer jacket. I wanted something for mid winter use with a pair of heavier weight smartwool socks for sleeping without adding too much weight.

These have a differential cut, and a one inch baffel that extends all the way around the silhouette of the foot, which keeps the down in separate top and bottom compartments. With the minimal elastic band attached, they weigh in at 1.2 oz for the pair. I'm super excited about them since I couldn't find anything like them on the market. so I'm happy to share some pics with you all.

<center>
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

</center>

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Justin,
    Nice work. For 1.2 oz, I would gladly bring those along. Suits me well too, as my heels never really get cold, only my toes. Very slick.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools