Topic

First Time Bivy User Needs Your Opinion!!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) First Time Bivy User Needs Your Opinion!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

Bivy Cover features:
    Gortex
    Includes snap fastener and slide fastener
    Measures 76 x 35" to 76 x 23"
    Weight: 2.25 lbs.

OK – So here is the deal. I bought this Gotex Bivy Cover with both sleeping bags included cheap. I have used it now for 5 nights (minus the 2 sleeping bags that can zip inside) I used a 20 ounce Lafuma bag with it.

I absolutely love this Bivy and I am very excited to have it as I continuously read about everyone elses experiences with them. I had a great time sleeping under the moon with the fall leaves changing and the different shades of silver, grey and black in the night. It was great. Temps dipped into the lower 40s and upper 30s at night. I was totally warm.

So here are my questions:

1. Has anyone ever used this kind of bivy?
    2. Is it really so much heavier at 40 ounces that I should consider the alternatives?
    3. I didn't feel like I needed a tarp as overhead cover with this bivy. Is that wreckless?

***On a side note, the folks I were camping and hiking with took up to an hour to pack. It took me less than 5 minutes to get my gear ready. That right there was worth the Bivy. Any feedback would be great

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

This is a USMC Gortex Bivy Bag…

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

As for the weight, it IS heavy for by bivy standards. However, that doesn't matter if you're pleased!!!! Don't switch to something else (unless you like it better – no matter what someone else says.

That bivy is less breathable than most, but is very stormworthy. It has a big storm flap over the zipper, right?

I prefer my equinox bivy, but I have to use a tarp with it to stay dry.

I would have something over my head in the rain in addition to the bivy for a few reasons:
    -I would be claustrophobic in that thing if not open
    – it won't breathe very well
    – your other gear will be drier w/ at least a small tarp

Enjoy it! Todd

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Todd,

You are correct. It has a storm flap over the zipper. When it got really cold at night I found myself completely under the hood flap and not closterphobic. I am guessing based on what you said though that a light weight tarp pitched low as head and gear protection makes good sense. I will think on that. thank you…

Any other suggestions out there?

chris Mcfarland

@pecos

Locale: baba yaga's porch

If you really like the bivy method, you should give it a shot in nasty weather (back yard maybe) and see if you still like it. When it’s just me, bivys are so much simpler. I have and ID bag cover in pertex endurance that I use with a small (48×60) homemade spinnaker tarp and I just love it. Keeps my down bag dry and gives me a little room to cook if it’s nasty weather.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

I am in California and besides the complete and total lack of weather (other than sunny or partly cloudy) we haven't had much "weather" per say. I will take your suggestion and give it a shot in the back yard during a storm. Thank you

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools