Topic

Easy Question about an Easy Project

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Easy Question about an Easy Project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

I am making a pot cozy and was wondering if anyone knows if Elmer's rubber cement will hold up to the temps that the pot will put on the cozy. If not, what are some other good alternatives…duct tape?

john flanagan

@jackfl

Locale: New England

Don't know about rubber cement…contact cement certainly will. As will duct tape. If you make them out of that reflective bubble wrap, there is an aluminum foil tape specifically for that product which works extremely well.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

The cozy will not have to handle temperatures above the working limits of most household contact cements. Elmer's contact cement will probably work. Duco household contact cement and Barges certainly will because I have used them for years with no failures.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

You don't say what cozy material you're using. If neoprene, then you can use neoprene cement, which will definitely be up to the task.

FWIW rubber cement is quite weak. The suggested contact cement is quite strong, but I always make a huge mess when I use it!

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/neoprene.html

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

Electrical tape can take a bit of heat, IIRC

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

What material are you using? Reflectex?

The tape will most likely be on the outside where it won't be susceptible to very much heat. The point of the cozy, yes? I'm sure you can take your pick of adhesives and tape materials. Metal Tape is heavy and the application in this neck of the woods is for high heat applications, e.g. sealing your Pepsi Stove. I used duct tape on my cozies, but I'm positive even that's overkill.

-Michael

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I believe rubber cement is quite flammable. Perhaps some of the Reflectix foil tape might work.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

There is a heat tape that is very thin and light I've found sold right next to Reflectix in our local hardware store. This topic was discussed recently. There's a photo there of a cozy I've made using Reflectix and this tape.

Making a cozy is a very easy project.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools