Topic

Mariposa Stays

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mariposa Stays

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I've been thinking about how to replace the carbon fibre stays of my new Mariposa Plus (finally found a pack for most of my needs) with something lighter than aluminum stays, but which would accomodate the need to pull the top of the pack into the shoulders. Knowing how strong and light bamboo is I split two bamboo rods, 1/2" wide, 3/8" thick and the same length as the carbon fibre stays. They weigh 20 grams each (the carbon fibre poles weigh 10 grams each), but since these are poor quality bamboo and I can find much higher quality in tube form that are quite a lot stronger and lighter, I wouldn't say these are the optimal bamboo stays. With some planing the sharp edges were smoothed out. If I use a flame I can also bend the bamboo to fit the curve of my back.

When putting on the pack fully loaded it pulls in close to my shoulders and doesn't lean away like with the carbon fibre stays. WHen I get back from my two day trip tomorrow I will look for better bamboo for stays.

Nathan Auck
    BPL Member

@auckjam

Locale: Wasatch

That sounds like a really interesting idea. I'll be interested to see about the durability of the bamboo. Do you think they can hold up to the rigors of say, a 20 lb load over 3 or four nights?

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Hi Nathan,

Bamboo is incredibly strong. In China they use it as scaffolding for building skyscapers. Here in Japan it is used for making some of the best flyfishing rods, kendo swords, and kyudo (archery) bows. And if you look at this post by Steven Evans, you can see that it can be used for very strong packs, too. For the Mariposa, inside the stay sleeves, the bamboo is plenty strong enough, I would think. Probably stronger than the carbon fiber stays when in tension.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

Here is another proof of how bamboo is strong:
    http://www.bmeres.com/bambooframe.htm
    (a mountainbike frame)

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Was that your modified mariposa that I snapped a pic of?!?

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Sure was! Complete reconstruction! Wouldn't even know by looking at it, would you? Now I just have to work on changing my sandals!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yes, bamboo is strong indeed. In Singapore, they use it to cane graffiti "artists". :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools