Topic

What magazines do you all subscribe to?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion What magazines do you all subscribe to?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

Hey all,

I'm curious as to what kinds of magazines you all subscribe to. Obviously BPL will be popular, but what others? Any other outdoor magazines you enjoy?

I love National Georgraphic myself! Though it isn't on outdoor technique or the like, it certainly inspires me to get out there and see things!

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

I read three:
    – BPL online
    – National Georgraphic (hand me down subscription)
    – Arizona Highways (hand me down subscription)

I subscribed to the Economist for world events but got to the point where I didn't make the time to read it cover to cover so I stopped. Really good articles and funny comments, e.g. "the only thing Newt Gingrich and his sister have in common is the need for a more flattering haircut."

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

None, because I'm tired of paper in my house. I'd rather stay digital with my reading. I only get the work related journal(s).

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I don't get any print magazines anymore. I used to get Sports Illustrated and Missouri Conservationist. I slowly stopped reading them and let the subscriptions lapse. The only thing I subscribe to anymore is BPL. I prefer to read my articles online because my place gets cluttered too easily. Even the magazines that come with orders from REI, Campmor, et al, lay around here forever before I finally get rid of them. I prefer to read articles online anyway, since I spend a lot of my day in front of a computer. Its much more convenient for me.

Adam

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

BackpackingLight
    Backpacker
    Mountain Bike Action
    National Geographic Adventure

Too many, really. But I don't get the paper!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Backpacker
    the Women's one that is slipping my mind
    Washington Trail Association's magazine

and whatever catches my eyes at Fry's…when I am waiting for my husband!

I need to sub up to BPL.

Donald Segretti

@dick-nixon-in-72

The Economist
    Sports Illustrated
    Consumer Reports
    Playboy (for the articles)
    American Rifleman
    Curve
    New American
    The Liberal
    An-Noujoum

Theodore Hall

@bohican

BPL
    American Rifleman
    Outside
    local paper

The last 2 are new subscriptions. From this week. I guess I over empathize with college age kids saying they need money for school. I think I've been able to force down a case of ramen since I got out of school many moons ago. I really hope I can renew my taste for the stuff prior to my thru hike.

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

How do those of you that subscribe to backpacker enjoy it? I've heard that it isn't always the best information…Do you all find it a nice magazine to read? Are the articles of any worth besides being entertaining?

Kyle Rosenberger

@kyler55

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

Not a big fan of backpacker. Some articles are interesting but some of it seems lame. They occasionally review so called UL gear but I think their testers and editors still can't get into the UL thing they always seem to want to carry 1.5 LB self inflating pads for so called UL tests. And want to bring piles and piles of gear with them. This may interest some bt not me.

Shahrin Bin Shariff
    BPL Member

@zzmelayu

Locale: In the shadow of Table Mountain

None.
    No paper subscription now.
    All online.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

BPL
    Wooden Boat
    Smithsonian
    TGO (Scotland)
    Pacific Crest Trail Communicator
    Still pick up a Backpacker once in a great while, but pan it most of the time.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

I hadn't planned to answer, but based on the answers thus far, okay.
    BPL
    Backpacker
    Sea Kayaker
    National Geograhic Adventurer
    Outside

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

With AIM buying BP from Rodale there has been a noticable shift – and it has been good.
    I quit reading it for nearly 3 years, and in the past months have started reading it again. And enjoying it!

Btw, as for magazines….well, I forgot to add that we usually use our airline miles for free magazines. I have like 20 magazines coming currently, plus the Wall St. Journal 6 days a wekk…for free. I read them all, and ya know, I actually am learning something from the Journal. Like how many 4 million dollar ranches are for sale in WY ;-) Hehheh!!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I've been listening to the TGO podcasts and followed the TGO Challange. How is the TGO magazine?

I used to subscribe to Backpacker, but got discouraged. However, I'm still tempted occasionally when I'm at the airport.

BPL
    Smithsonian
    Backpacker (occasionally)

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

BackpackingLight
    Wooden Boat
    TGO (From Scotland)
    New Yorker
    Lens Works

Robert Devereux
    Spectator

@robdev

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

National Geographic Adventure
    Men's Journal

I occasionally pick up issues of Outside or Wend, depending on the contents of the issue.

I didn't enjoy Backpacker. I always wanted more depth out of the articles. That's a problem I have with most magazines, but at least Men's Journal and Outside give me a bit of the depth I want, mixed in with the lighter pieces.

When I was packpacking in Australia, I picked up The Economist every week when I was in a town. It was a great way to keep up with the news. Now that I'm in front a computer all day, I get news online so I stopped getting The Economist.

John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

BPL
    Backpacker
    Audubon
    High Country News – excellent environmental news
    Economist

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

bpl, backpacker, climb[uk], alpinist, climbing, rock and ice, velo news, fingerstyle guitar, esquire, imagine fx[uk], guitar technique[uk],justapoz,trail runner, funny times, road, dirt rag, dirty linen ….aren't cha glad you asked.

RC
    BPL Member

@demo

Locale: PNW

I've switched almost entirely to quarterlies only. For one, they come less often so less wasted paper, but in addition the content seems to be of higher quality. So…

2600 Quarterly
    Make Magazine
    Archeology Magazine

anything else I require to have an online edition.

J Her

@sailfast3r

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Trail Runner
    American Rifleman (NRA)

I also pick up at the newstand on occasion:
    Land Rover Monthly or Land Rover Enthusiast
    Runner's World
    Backpacker

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska

I subscribe to Alpinist – a superb mag in my opinion. Incredible photos, good stories, captures the essence of climbing. Everything a good mag should be. It's quarterly.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Yes Alpinist rules. It's by far the best magazine I read on any regular basis.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I just saw Issue 22 on the shelf at the climbing shop yesterday. I've only been an Alpinist reader for about the past year but the opinion I've formed is that it is a superb magazine worth of reading cover to cover every month.

Jim Cook
    Spectator

@mrcooktoyou

Locale: Land of Cotton

None. I do all my reading online. I used to subscribe to Backpacker but it got really fruity since Dorn took over. Way too much paper devoted to articles about some odd outdoor character or a 12-page spread of photos of animals and their rear-ends. Not much by way of destinations, reviews, techniques, recipes or usable information. Dropped my subscription, haven't missed it in over three years.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools