Topic

Preparedness view of ultralight?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Preparedness view of ultralight?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Hey Tom,
    Im not at all riled up, but I do stand by my 'usually" comment because all I was doing was describing how backpackers usually use the wilderness which is different than living off the land and practicing primitive skills, not that they cant survive, I was just explaining why some people would bring different tools with them -like a fixed blade knife and why a backpacker "usually" would not carry somthing like that- But might carry a razorblade instead. As for bushskills, Im not saying that people should be building shelters and fires or hunting on the side of AT or JMT.
    Most people who take bushcraft seriouly live way up north where there is still large amounts of wilderness, some of those people are Native Americans.
    Another thing to consider is that attitudes about the land can be very different between an urbanite and the country folk. Urbanites have strong feelings about LNT and leaving the wildernss "unspoiled". Country folk, though not agaisnt the park system, dont live in the city and just visit the wilderness- they live there. And these skills are a way for them to reconnect with that land and live there with "minimal" impact.
    But Im talking about a small group of people here, when I talk about bushcraft in the way I and most people use it Im just talking about learnning about the land and its uses. Basic stuff like being competent at fire building in crappy wet conditions. Building an effective shelter -in an emergency or if your camping WAY out there, basket weaving, knifecraft, weather reading ect..
    Hunting to me is sure, part of bushcraft but I kinda see hunting as a seprate but related skill.
    I agree that we are all guilty of adding to the pollution,
    Im not claiming I or any one else has the answers but bushskills is one way some poeple are trying go back-to-basics and live a greener cleaner life.

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

"backpackers tend to be more suburban while most hunters come from a more rural setting. Add this to the fact that hunters tend to spend more time off-trail and closely observing the natural world around them, and you'll find that they have a valid perspective on the natural world."

This has been my experience as well. Hunters are often very in tune with the natural world, have fairly solid survival skills and are pretty responsible backcountry users. We need to keep our minds open to a variety of users.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yo Brian,
    I'm sure glad you posted again. As a result of our give and take, I feel I have a more nuanced feel for what you are trying to get across. I have no problem at all with those who practice what we call bushcraft as a way of life, especially the First Peoples, but including anyone, just about anywhere else as well. Ditto most hunters and fishermen. There is room enough for all, so far. That is why I tend to stick to national parks and, to a lesser degree, wilderness areas. As I mentioned in my last post I grew up in a hunting/fishing environment and only recently totally left it behind. What you have said applies to most hunters and fishermen I have encountered down through the years. Where I do have a problem is with the trophy crowd in general and a segment of the bushcraft folk who run around generally making a mess and shooting up the joint. I guess initially I wasn't sure where you were coming from and maybe I jumped the gun a little, for which I apologize. This is a classic example of why I really enjoy these forums!

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools