Topic

Traveling with Poles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rob Currier
    Spectator

@myoming

I’ve got an airplane trip coming up and I need to bring two pairs of trekking poles along with me, one fixed length and one collapsible. I’m curious to find out how others travel with poles, especially the fixed length ones. I’m thinking of wrapping a ton of duct tape around the bottoms and checking them, but the fragile nature of the poles concerns me when I think about them being handled by the baggage folks. Anyway, any creative ideas or prooven techniques would be appreciated, thanks.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Gossamer Gear sells a tube for travelling with fixed length poles. I’m assuming it’s sturdier than your typical boxboard poster tube.

Anonymous

I use an old ice hockey bag to store all of my hiking gear and poles, and then check the entire ensemble.

If you’re not a hockey player, post a note on a nearby rink bulletin board that you’re looking for a used bag with a working zipper (number one reason players toss their bags is ’cause of a zipper fail). I bet you could pick one up for $10.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools